Genesis Platinum B Tank Blocker and Tank Mounting

CSchaefer

I'm new here so I'll apologize in advance if my questions can be found with the search function. I tried, really I did. What function does the #57575 Tank blocker assembly serve? I don't see it in the earlier model Genesis grills. I am rebuilding this unit and will remove the enclosure for the open look. From what I can tell, I think the blocker can be safely removed. Also, for those who have gone thru this modification, how did you prevent the lower part of the tank from resting on the frame crossmember? It interferes with the tank gauge function. The original panel no longer being used, prevents it from resting on the crossmember.

I'm new here so I'll apologize in advance if my questions can be found with the search function. I tried, really I did. What function does the #57575 Tank blocker assembly serve? I don't see it in the earlier model Genesis grills. I am rebuilding this unit and will remove the enclosure for the open look. From what I can tell, I think the blocker can be safely removed. Also, for those who have gone thru this modification, how did you prevent the lower part of the tank from resting on the frame crossmember? It interferes with the tank gauge function. The original panel no longer being used, prevents it from resting on the crossmember.
Hi, Weber uses rubber bumpers to keep the tank from hitting metal. Most Weber grills have two rubber bumpers below the tank scale. They use a throughhole mount.

Attachments

• A17EF5AA-766C-473E-91BC-4B76A2BE025E.jpeg
    A17EF5AA-766C-473E-91BC-4B76A2BE025E.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 21
BPratt, Thanks for your reply. The issue I am having is that those bumpers are on the side panel that I have removed. This allows the tank to swing further inward and will hang up on the horizontal frame member when full. That messes with the function of the tank scale. However, you did give me an idea for replacing the frame floor. I wonder how gray Trex decking would look with the stainless in an open frame Weber?

BPratt, Thanks for your reply. The issue I am having is that those bumpers are on the side panel that I have removed. This allows the tank to swing further inward and will hang up on the horizontal frame member when full. That messes with the function of the tank scale. However, you did give me an idea for replacing the frame floor. I wonder how gray Trex decking would look with the stainless in an open frame Weber?
Hi, the bumpers can be mounted to the lower frame crossmember. That is how most of the cart models keep the tank off the frame

I think on the cabinet style grills, the tank "bumpers" were mounted in the side panel witch the OP said he removed. You could add another cross member in the place where the bumpers should be and mount them in that. I did that on a SS platinum grill.
20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum.jpg

Thanks guys. What I did today was make an adapter to lower the scale by 2-1/4". This essentially moved it down 1 hole. I mounted the tank bumpers on the original crossmember. I'll add pics when the paint is dry and everything is in place. I added lower rails made of aluminum angle. I TIG welded an end with a thru hole and bolted it in place on the 4 legs.

Bruce, It looks like you removed the tank blocker, which I did too. Any idea as to what it was supposed to do?

Thanks guys. What I did today was make an adapter to lower the scale by 2-1/4". This essentially moved it down 1 hole. I mounted the tank bumpers on the original crossmember. I'll add pics when the paint is dry and everything is in place. I added lower rails made of aluminum angle. I TIG welded an end with a thru hole and bolted it in place on the 4 legs.

Bruce, It looks like you removed the tank blocker, which I did too. Any idea as to what it was supposed to do?
The tank blocker is a piece of metal inside the C’s cabinet to keep you from putting a tank inside between the controls and the firebox box

Sorry, I honestly do not know what the tank blocker is. Aside from the cabinet, I did not remove anything else that I did not replace when I put it back together. Do you have a picture of the "tank blocker".

Here is a better photo of that grill.

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (6).JPG

Sorry, I honestly do not know what the tank blocker is. Aside from the cabinet, I did not remove anything else that I did not replace when I put it back together. Do you have a picture of the "tank blocker".
The thing in the box that is circled. You probably throw it away

Attachments

• 7E997A43-91F7-4342-917B-CB28CBE0D1DA.jpeg
    7E997A43-91F7-4342-917B-CB28CBE0D1DA.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 15
  • E7FE84EC-756E-486F-B7E5-B573475EDE2D.jpeg
    E7FE84EC-756E-486F-B7E5-B573475EDE2D.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 15
The tank blocker is a piece of metal inside the C’s cabinet to keep you from putting a tank inside between the controls and the firebox box
I always wondered what that was for! I figured it was some kind of extra heat shield, but that explanation makes perfect sense. Keep owners from using their cabinet storage space in a dangerous way :oops: ! I could see a lot of people just sticking the tank in there. Of course, on later grills, Weber pretty much does that by putting the tank inside. I assume they allowed a little extra space.

Ok. Now I know what you are talking about. Yes when converting to open cart that peace is pretty much useless if not impossible to put back. And in reality even if I kept the cabinet I would get rid of it.

Ahhh! That makes perfect sense. I couldn't figure out how it could be a heat "blocker" to shield the tank, being it was on the other side of the cabinet wall.. I feel much better now .

Here is the final result. The bumpers support the tank under the full range of the scale. Works great. I have gotten a lot of inspiration from this site. Thanks a lot.

In the process of the general cleanup, I found 6 of the grates were loose on one end or the other. I tack welded them back together. I thought I'd show that too in case somebody else had this problem.

scale adapter.jpg

installation.jpg

TIG Grate.jpg

Here is the final result. The bumpers support the tank under the full range of the scale. Works great. I have gotten a lot of inspiration from this site. Thanks a lot.

In the process of the general cleanup, I found 6 of the grates were loose on one end or the other. I tack welded them back together. I thought I'd show that too in case somebody else had this problem.

View attachment 32229

View attachment 32228

View attachment 32227
The scale extender looks like it does the job.

Here is one I did last year. I put the bumpers on the cross member like you did. Without an extender the tank is not at 90 degrees. I will address this on my next one.

Yeah I think to Tank extender is a lot better idea than what I did by adding in the extra cross bar a few inches up from the main one

Back