Genesis II S-435

RPearlberg

I currently have a Weber Genesis S-310 (around 2010-2011). There is nothing wrong with it, but I've been eyeing the bigger Genesis II S-435. Besides being newer and bigger, is it worth the upgrade? I just bought my dad the 435 as an early Father's Day present and now I want one!

I think that depends on how much grilling real estate you feel you need. That model does give you some extra room for sure. If you can use the added space and have the money, that grill is a way better way to go than a Summit in my opinion.

what do you think I could sell my Genesis S-310 for?
check FB market place and craigslist locally for comps... I know I sold my 12 year old Genesis for $300.... I kept it in good shape, but replaced the floor that rotted out, with a stainless piece a friend made. I paid $750 for that grill.. Grills that were similar, albeit newer, were listed around for $350-$450... I advertised it with a dozen pics, an honest assessment and I mentioned what the current comparable models listed out for... One idiot responded, and 3 earnest people. I had cash in hand in less than an hour

check FB market place and craigslist locally for comps... I know I sold my 12 year old Genesis for $300.... I kept it in good shape, but replaced the floor that rotted out, with a stainless piece a friend made. I paid $750 for that grill.. Grills that were similar, albeit newer, were listed around for $350-$450... I advertised it with a dozen pics, an honest assessment and I mentioned what the current comparable models listed out for... One idiot responded, and 3 earnest people. I had cash in hand in less than an hour
Thanks.

I'm so torn. I want the bigger S-435, but then also can't decide if I want to make the jump all the way to the Summit series. Not sure I would ever use the rotisserie or smoker box though.

DON'T BUY A NEW SUMMIT!!!!!

Overpriced, Overweight, Overcomplicated, and yet with a cabinet of painted steel that is certain to rust out :mad: ...Plus, they throw in a firebox that will inevitably burn through:mad::mad:...what a deal.

The Genesis S-435 would be a much better choice in my opinion.

DON'T BUY A NEW SUMMIT!!!!!

Overpriced, Overweight, Overcomplicated, and yet with a cabinet of painted steel that is certain to rust out :mad: ...Plus, they throw in a firebox that will inevitably burn through:mad::mad:...what a deal.

The Genesis S-435 would be a much better choice in my opinion.
Thank you for the advice!! I'm 95% sure I'll get the Genesis if I do anything. Maybe I'll give my old one to the in-laws so my wife won't be as mad that I buy a new grill.

OK, I get that. But I do have to bring up that you can always get two of them and rehab them for much less than a new one.
t0sG1c6.jpg

I am with Bruce about restoring old grills and having two isn't necessarily a crazy idea at all. But, if you just want to buy a new grill and want something a little bigger, that Genesis II S-435 is a pretty nice looking choice. Do the needed cleaning and drying - even waxing all the painted steel from time to time - and I think it will do you well. And DEFINITELY a way better choice for a large grill than the Summits on sale now.

I am hoping a new Summit will come out and that Weber will have learned from their mistakes.:unsure:

Having more than one mid size (Genesis) sized grill is better and more useful than one huge one. I find sometimes even though I can fit what feels like a side of beef in my Wolf many times I kick the Genesis into service with it even though it is not full.
Also one has to wonder if Weber would learn from the mistakes. The fool an awful lot of people by using inferior construction on upmarket grills

That 435 is nice. But if the side burner and sear burner are not must haves, the open cart E-410 looks darn good. Over the years, open cart Webers has held up better than the closed cabinet models. So if you plan on keeping this grill for the long term, you might want to consider the open design.

I get what Bruce, Jon and Larry are saying about two smaller grills are better than one larger grill. But spouses don't often see it that way. Anyway you slice it, two 3 burner gennies are going to take up a lot more room than a single 4 burner model.

I second Jon's disdain for the Summit. I have had the opportunity to cook on one. At that price point, I expect a lot better quality.

If your current S-310 is clean and in good shape...no rust inside the cabinet...then you could get $300 for it. More if you have accessories with it like a rotisserie. I just sold a really nice one same age as your's for $350 with rotisserie. I had it really clean and also sold it with a partial tank and old Weber cover. Could use that money towards your new grill....sounds like you want to buy a new one.

S-310 is a pretty dang big grill. If you need more space, then you must cook for large parties a lot. One downside of a big grill, I'm sure you've thought of this, when you need to grill for small portions, it's going to take a lot more gas to get all that surface area up to cooking temp.

What about x2 3 burner grills as mentioned from other folks? I have both an 05 Platinum C and a 2000 Platinum with the deep firebox and have the best of both worlds. I can do roti on the deep firebox and regular grilling on the 05.

Back