Genesis II E-310 Questions

Sean Williams

Hi everyone I just picked up a 2017 Genesis II E-310 NG for $100 and am getting ready to do a conversion to propane. Received all paperwork and manuals from previous owner and had a nightmare dealing with Weber trying to order a propane manifold for it. They wouldn't sell me any parts except which matched the serial numbers of the unit I registered and had to register a grill to buy from them. Crazy!!! Now I have two Genesis II grills registered in my name as I just kept trying Serial Numbers until it let me register a propane version of the E-310. Parts should be here this week!!

I have been scraping and using simple green on the cook-box and lid. Both were completely black and disgusting and I don't believe the previous owner ever cleaned it since he bought it in June of 2018. I see that the restoration thread says to use brake cleaner on outside but I don't want to do that as exterior finish is good just the inside is disgusting. Took over an hour to scrap the grills clean as they were completely coated with grease and marinades at least 1/4 " thick. Gross. Is the cook box completely aluminum? In the restoration thread someone said to use oven cleaner but all the easy off and other brand oven cleaners say not to use on aluminum. Is this true or if I just watch how long I leave it on it won't damage it? Don't wanna damage the cook-box but seriously need to get it clean.

Any advise would be welcome.

Sean. LOL. I give you credit for persistence on guessing serial numbers until you got what you wanted. The thing is, the poor guy who owns the grill with the SN that you used can't register his grill now....of course, he had 4 years to do that and hasn't so it probably isn't an issue. LOL.

I would not bother with doing more than a quick clean up on the inside of the lid. It is only going to get gunked up again. Try a razor blade scraper if you really want to get it clean.

Same goes with the cook box. It is only going to get gunked up again. But if you want, you absolutely can use grill or oven cleaner on it. The warning is because it will "discolor" the aluminum. It will turn gray. No big deal if you care to clean it that deep. But it won't weaken or damage the aluminum in any way.

Actually I cheated a bit and used Weber's website against them. I found pictures of the placement of serial numbers on Weber's site and low and behold it had the correct Model # and a Serial Number listed for an LP model. Tried to register the grill that Weber showed and that didn't work so I just subtracted 10 numbers and tried and it worked. Totally different Serial Number beginnings between both LP and NG.

I guess that I'll try some oven cleaner because this guy used tons of marinade and its every where. Couldn't even see the chrome back mounts for the burners as was solid wall of goop forget the bolt heads. But after buying for $100 and some used parts from ebay.com ie. Tank Scale and Buying Manifold and LP Hose/Regulator direct from Weber I'll have about $250 into the grill plus some cleaning and basically getting a $900 grill complete with Weber Cover and Igrill3 thus saving some money. I was looking at a Spirit ii NEW FOR $525 and found the ad and had to look and see what deal was. Previous owner didn't even list it as NG in ad and I just noticed long hose and figured it out. Had been listed for 3 weeks on CL and I guess no takers. So now I have a Genesis II E-315.

Thanks for the response and I actually forgot I ordered new flavor bars and heat plates from RCplanebuyer so an additional $100 and that was easy as was better than Weber's original design.

Back