Genesis II cast aluminum fire box?

GarrettB

TVWBB Member
I saw a few reviews on YouTube claiming that the bottom part of the fire box is made of cast aluminum. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Genesis has a cast aluminum fire box
Well that's a big deal! I was told in another thread that everything on the Genesis II was lower grade (430) steel.
What would other cheaper grills use in the fire box, brands like Nexgrill, Sterling, Broil Mate etc?

You're asking about apples and oranges. The fire box is only part of the grill. The other stuff yes is cheaper steel, and 400 grade stainless or chromed plastic

You're asking about apples and oranges. The fire box is only part of the grill. The other stuff yes is cheaper steel, and 400 grade stainless or chromed plastic
Maybe my previous question wasn't clear then. I was told all the metal was cheaper stainless steel.

Well that's a big deal! I was told in another thread that everything on the Genesis II was lower grade (430) steel.
What would other cheaper grills use in the fire box, brands like Nexgrill, Sterling, Broil Mate etc?
A long time ago, 90's, almost all brands were cart models with cast aluminum fireboxes and lids with the other parts made of steel, wood and brass. Somewhere in the 2000's the lower end, less than $400, moved to steel fireboxes and lids with the other parts made of steel, plastic and die cast. Cabinet models were introduced to the masses.

Weber kept the Cast Aluminum Fireboxes and the lid materials basically the same.

If you are shopping for a grill visit a shop with premium and super premium models - $1000.00 and up - just to get an idea what is out there.

The lower cabinets are cheap steel that will rust if left unchecked, but the fire boxes are and always have been cast aluminum on most Weber gas grills.
The smaller Q grills even have a cast aluminum lid. They are nice little grilling tanks.

The Weber Genesis II grills I've seen all have the cast aluminum firebox as others have stated. But also some of the stainless is higher grade ( non magnetic). Like the hood and side tables. The lower cabinet is not stainless. Its plain steel. And thus can be rust prone. But its pretty sturdily built like the older genesis grills.

Hardly any grill manufacturer still uses non magnetic SS on non high end grills anymore. The steel has become too expensive. Weber did in the past but not anymore. If you buy Weber replacement burners for the older Genesis 1000 or Silver/Gold they are all magnetic SS. But they still last.
The problem has always been around the cabinets in the past. When Weber switched from powder coated tubular steel frames to pressed painted sheet metal the problem got worse.

That's another thing I really like about the '05-'06 Genesis and Summit Platinum grills. The frames are non-magnetic, so presumably 304 stainless. Same for hoods, if I remember correctly. In some ways that was the high point of Weber's efforts (other than the painted steel cabinetry in the Genesis Platinum and the failure to use all cast aluminum on the Summit firebox). The Genesis still had all the "classic" aspects of the original one with some nice modernization added on. Even if you prefer a color lid (I do mostly) it was still a great step forward. Other than weld failures on the short extensions that hold the tables, those frames are lifers. Someday I would like to try making a black and stainless version using that frame but with Silver/Gold tables and control panel. WIth that, the hood could be black, but also red, blue or any number of colors.

Stefan, that is nice. I will probably wind up doing something like that with my SS PLatinum frame. The existing gray control panel and side burner base are not in that great of condition anyway. But, that black on silver looks good....The Blue lid is nice too.

I still have red lid which I might want to put on for Christmas. 😂
I was just thinking about that! Reading about the interest in refurbishing older grills, searches for lids of a certain color, models, etc. is fascinating.
Question: How many of you refurbishers swap out colored lids -- just because you want to? 🤔

I was just thinking about that! Reading about the interest in refurbishing older grills, searches for lids of a certain color, models, etc. is fascinating.
Question: How many of you refurbishers swap out colored lids -- just because you want to? 🤔
If you have a grill like this one you swap the doors and lid for a whole different look. The cabinets rot out so there is a surplus of lids and doors in about 8 colors

IMG_0142.JPG

I have probably 6 or 7 different colored lids but other than my current one, they are not cleaned up and ready to go. My grill started out as a red head and I switched to blue after a year or two when I finally found a blue head donor grill.

Back