Genesis Hood Dissasembly

Tom, my reading comprehension skills are just fine. So is my understanding of the English language. When someone posts a method and you reply with another method and follow that up by saying "Well, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right", you are in fact saying that the other method is wrong. That goes beyond a mere difference of opinion.

Dave, my name isn't Tom. Please try not to assume.

If you will go back an reread my post, you will note that you are the only one who mentioned a frame-off restoration when all that we being discussed was the hood. So again there you assumed, or your intent was to escalate the conversation. You did so because I pointed out that the effort to remove the bolts is small, and it was well worth it to me to locate those pieces of bared metal and protect them with hi-heat paint. Again, if you're happy with masking and painting, so be it. Differing viewpoints are no reason to get your panties in a wad.

And now, I am done with this thread. Congratulations on the win, go tell your friends, and welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Dave, my name isn't Tom. Please try not to assume.

If you will go back an reread my post, you will note that you are the only one who mentioned a frame-off restoration when all that we being discussed was the hood. So again there you assumed, or your intent was to escalate the conversation. You did so because I pointed out that the effort to remove the bolts is small, and it was well worth it to me to locate those pieces of bared metal and protect them with hi-heat paint. Again, if you're happy with masking and painting, so be it. Differing viewpoints are no reason to get your panties in a wad.

And now, I am done with this thread. Congratulations on the win, go tell your friends, and welcome to my ignore list.

T, my apologies for calling you Tom.

Instead of just focusing on a post, go back and read from the start of the thread. Brian asked about disassembling the lid as he was running into difficulty. I brought up that another option would be to mask the lid off instead and paint it. You waded in saying this:

And for my money, take the thing apart.

Had you left it there, I wouldn't have had a problem with the post. But, you didn't. Immediately following that statement was this little gem:

There's a difference between 'restoring' and 'freshening up'. The added effort it takes to do it right is minimal.

If you don't understand that the above statement says that masking the lid off and painting the endcaps is "WRONG", then I don't know what to tell ya. Again, this wasn't just a statement about your preference. You know, "Well, you could mask it off, but I PREFER to take it apart". Nope, you stated that taking the lid apart was the "RIGHT" way, which in a binary situation makes the other way wrong.

As to the last part of your post, this isn't about me "winning" an internet argument. Rather, it's about the process. I want to make sure that others reading this thread don't get the mistaken impression (from your posts) that there's anything wrong with masking the lid and painting it. As to being on your ignore list, I really don't care. It's not something that I'm going to lose 1 second of sleep over.

I've done two "restorations".

One here:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59447-Before-During-and-After-Weber-Genesis-Silver-B

And another here:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59970-Could-Not-Resist

In both cases, I removed the end caps from the hood.

Brian, what I found is that the nuts are indeed difficult to remove.

Try using PB Blaster on the threads, someone else mentioned using a wire brush on a dremel tool: excellent idea!

Then, for the one or two that certainly won't come off that way, what I did was I took my thin spade head screwdriver and kind of wedged it in the small gap on the outside to try to hold the bolt. It's a little tricky, but once you get a good wedge you'll hold that bolt.

Then just turn the nut off.

Those bolts sure are a pain, but I found that for the last two or three of them, if you are patient and keep at it, you can get them all out.

It goes without saying that cursing and drinking help a lot!

Finally, and I'm sure you already know this, I washed each bolt with soapy water to get the PB off, then made 10 small "x" es with a razor knife in an empty box. Stuck the bolts in the xes, then painted the tops of 'em along with the end caps. Keeps it all painted, and it goes together a lot easier than it comes apart.

Good luck!

Tim

Back