Genesis Gold questions

Yah, they are great grills, especially if you cook for a limited group such as hubby and wife and maybe a kid or two. But, if you want more versatily and grilling space, you need the three burner. One other benefit of the three burner Silver B is that parts are more available.

Question for those who have used the Silver/Gold series of grills: do they sear steaks better than the earlier x000 series? (With only one row of flavorizers and the burners being closer to the grates, I would think so, but you never know until you ask!)
I can't compare my silver B to a x000. I'll say it does a fair job, but not great. My E330 is much, much better at searing.

Before I got the 330, I would pre heat a thick griddle on the silver B and sear on the griddle.

I am not a master BBQ guy, but is there not technically a difference between creating grill (sear) marks on meat and actually searing the cut of meat?

Lines are lines. And actually a VERY effective way to you pay more attention to the lines than the cook is a trick taught me by a chef I spoke to from one of the Weber Grill restaurants. He said the easiest way to have grill marks so many swear by is to simply brush the meat with melted butter. The butter caramelizes before the actual meat and makes those sharp dark lines so many crave (which he admitted do nothing for flavor) as it's overall Maillard reaction that gives flavor NOT lines.

Question for those who have used the Silver/Gold series of grills: do they sear steaks better than the earlier x000 series? (With only one row of flavorizers and the burners being closer to the grates, I would think so, but you never know until you ask!)

I don't know if there is any difference when it comes to searing.

I think the main impact of the shallow cook box and single layer of flav bars is less even heat, more flare-ups, and more hot/cold spots.

The performance of my Silver B greatly improved when I switched to GrillGrates. Which, to me, was kind of like adding the second layer of flav bars. But you didn't hear that from me.

I recently cooked on an E-310 at a vacation rental house. While it may not last as long as my Silver, it was a much better cooker than my Silver B (with regular grates).

What I find myself doing is putting the grill marks on (I haven't found anybody yet that doesn't like grill marks. I almost think they are expected.) and then a quick sear on the flat (griddle) side for the overall crust right before taking off them off the grill. I have 2 panels flat side up and the remainder with the grate side up. On the grate side the juices from the meat vaporize immediately below the meat so the flavor is very intense and that is where the meat spends the most time. It's really easy for someone like me to get good results without much in the way of culinary skill, nor an intense desire to learn at this late stage in life. I'd rather eat than cook any day.

But that's not to say that the same thing couldn't be accomplished in some other fashion. It's funny that people are so polarized on grates and thermometers, isn't it?

He folks,
That one deal fell through , however I found myself another one for pick up tomorrow (attached). It still is NG and want to convert to LP. Does anyone have a manifold there looking to part with? Perhaps a trade for some items I have, I can do paypal. Also what is a manifold part #? and what else is needed for the conversion? Could you let me know.
Thank you so much
John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 8.28.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 8.28.40 PM.png
    583.9 KB · Views: 4
He folks,
That one deal fell through , however I found myself another one for pick up tomorrow (attached). It still is NG and want to convert to LP. Does anyone have a manifold there looking to part with? Perhaps a trade for some items I have, I can do paypal. Also what is a manifold part #? and what else is needed for the conversion? Could you let me know.
Thank you so much
John
You already know you need a propane manifold. The only other thing you should need is the tank scale I think you can still buy one new. I'm not personally familiar with part #'s for the silver series of grills. I would imagine you could at least work out a trade for the manifold with someone here.

Last edited:

Back