Genesis EP-330 Assembly Hardware question.

Brian (Mass.)

TVWBB Fan
I have a new ep-330 that i am currently assembling. At step 11 they have you place the base of the cook box on top of the frame and affix it to the frame with 2 long bolts from the outside that thread to 2 nuts that slip tightly into hex shaped grooves on the inside of the cook box. The nuts depicted in the instructions are 7/16" locking nuts. The nuts included are regular nuts. You can see at 10:30 of this video (Very helpful assembly video) that this guy has the right kind of nuts...the new nuts seem annoyingly cheaper and more likely to back out and fail over time...Here are the nuts they included on the left with the instructions showing the nuts...Thoughts?
24fzic3.jpg

I have a 2011 model that has the locking nuts. But if it didn't I would not be concerned given the notch or slot that the nut sits in to keep it from turning. Once everything is tightened down I doubt anything is going to come loose over time. If it bothers you just put a lock washer on it and it will be fine. I believe that is one of those insignificant cost cutting things that need to be done to help keep a company competitive. Now if they start making a cheap fire box I'll have a problem with them.

Last edited:
I recently bought a damaged E-330 and had the same question while laying out all of the hardware. The parts kit that came with my grill included the nuts you received. The replacement cook box they sent me included the nuts illustrated in the installation manual. I agree the ones you received look annoyingly cheaper, but I think either will be fine, i.e. I don't think it's a connection that would be prone to working itself loose.

Last edited:
I think those are locking nuts that you show in the first photo...just a different (cheaper) kind than most people are used to. Put them on so the flat side threads onto the bolt first. The domed side should have little stamp marks that compress the threads just a little bit to make the nut grab onto the bolt tighter.

Back