Genesis E330 vs Summit E420

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
On paper these two grills seem to be nearly identical except for the $400 price difference. They look very much alike, except the fact that the 4 burners on the Summit are evenly spaced, while the 4 burners on the Genesis have the 4th (extra burner) midway between #1 and #2.

Is there a not-obvious-from-looking-at-the-pictures quality difference from going from the top Genesis to the lowest Summit?

What am I missing?

Also, is there any difference between the black version and the stainless aside from the obvious color difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the 4 burners on the Summit are evenly spaced, while the 4 burners on the Genesis have the 4th (extra burner) midway between #1 and #2.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darrel:

I may be missing something here, and if I am, I apologize in advance - but I'm trying to decide between the same two grills as you; however, while doing research on which model would be the right Weber gas grill for me, I checked out the comparison feature at the Weber site, which seems to indicate that the Genesis has but 3 burners vs the Summit's 4. Additionally, the overall BTU output is over 10,000 BTU's more with the Summit, and the cooking area is slightly larger on the Summit as well.

Finally, while the Summit has a number of "bells and whistles" - some superfluous, IMO, like that nifty little handle light - that may account, overall, for the difference in prices.

Here's a link to the comparison of the two - BTW, I'm probably going to opt for the Summit, albeit in the stainless steel/natural gas model:

http://www.weber.com/explore/Compare.aspx?Akey=9

Hold on a sec - it just occurred to me that the 2011 Genesis model may have changed the burner configuration from 4 to 3, which may account for the difference in the number of burners...does the model you cite happen to be from 2010, by chance?

I've been playing the same comparison game for a while, Genesis S-330 vs Summit s-420.

The 330 IS smaller and less powerful, but not by much overall:

1. It has just 31 sq.in. less space on the main cooking area. Since the cooking grill is about 19" deep, that means the 330 is less than 2" narrower, side to side.

2. The 420 has 4 burners rated at 48,000 BTU's total, the 330 has three burners that total 36,000. BUT the additional searing station burner adds another 10,000 capacity on the new 330, and could be fired up to help heat the grill more quickly.

3. The 330 has 7mm diameter stainless cooking grates. The 420 has 9.5mm grates which look a LOT heavier and sturdier... but I suspect either would be really long-lasting.

4. The 420 appears to have more space under its hood (could matter if you buy the rotisserie), and the lid is designed with a central pivot hinge which makes it more counter-balanced. It also looks like it could provide a path for heat to escape, and rain to come in. The 330 has rear-mounted hinges, so you lift more hood weight, but it is more of a clam shell arrangement that seems tighter.

5. 420 has been sold in its current rendition for several years, the 330 has the latest ideas Weber has come up with, but it is a mid-range rather than premium line.

6. Both grills have more non-stainless steel parts than I expected on a SS grill, mostly on the cart. The back 1/2 of the 420 hood chamber is made of black porcelainized steel, too. It probably doesn't matter, but I kind of expected all stainless...

They BOTH look great. I don't think we could go wrong with either choice. I'm an American, doggone it, so I WANT the bigger, "better," more expensive Summit 420. It HAS to be superior, right?!?!?

However, I'd say there is a 90% chance I will be purchasing the S-330. Best prices I've found are about $300 different, and I just can't get the additional features to add up to that much in my scale of values.

Guess I'll get the handle light for $24 to go with it....

Good luck y'all!

One more thing...

While the E420 has stainless steel cooking grates and flavorizer bars like the S model, the E330 has porcelain steel or cast grates and bars. If you get the EP330 at a dealer it is one step up toward the S330, and has the stainless grates and bars in a colored body.

The Genesis has 3 burners with an optional 4th burner for searing located between the first and second burner. Last years Genesis looks the same as this years, the difference between the two is that the burners in this years model run front/back or north/south, last years model the burners run east/west or left/right. This was done to get the nobs off of the top of the grill to create more usable surface. I've heard that trying to do a rotisserie on the new model is difficult compared to the last model due to the design of the burners. The east/west design works better with the rotisserie as it distributes the heat more evenly. If you go to ACE hardware you can get a colored Genesis with the stainless steel guts. That is the one I have, HD and Lowes do not carry the EP series only Ace and specialty bbq stores carry them.

I just went out and looked at these today. The summit is a bit pricey for me. The dealer had an older genesis still for sale with no price break, the old one had the 3 burners East to West. for thos with the north/south set up how do you like it?

I am trying to decide if I want to go with the older model or push for a new one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Drewery:
for thos with the north/south set up how do you like it?

I am trying to decide if I want to go with the older model or push for a new one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the new setup and I think it works great. I have never used the east/west setup so I can't tell you how it fairs compared to that, but for me the extra work space was too valuable to go with the older model.

If you really want to see a lot of info on these two grills, check out the Barbecue Source at http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php . The Source is my "other" grilling/smoking forum and you'll find lots of great and well-informed information. Use "Search" on "Genesis 330" and on "Summit 420". (Recognize that the 420 is just the lowest model of the Summit line -- it's a question of features between the different Summit models -- and PRICE, of course.)

At the Source you'll find more than you can read on N/S vs. E/W., New vs. old Genesis, Genesis vs. Summit and use of rotissieries on any. (I would disagree that the N/S burner orientation is "worse" than E/W -- it's mainly a question of learning to use either properly.)

For my part, the Summit is a little more expensive, PROBABLY has more quality SS internals (good luck getting Weber to give any details on that subject), will get hotter (say about 100* more?), has heavier construction, and comes basically assembled where the Genesis requires a couple of hours of your work (unless you buy at Ace). Either are superbly designed, will last at least 10 - 20 years and have great long and well-supported warranties.

My older E/W Genny has converted me to a dedicated griller who has really no fears of trying something new -- anything. Before the Weber, I tried to produce edible food on a grill that cost just as much but was a POS. With the Weber, I can focus on cooking -- sweet!

If I had the choice with what I've learned, I personally would buy the new SS Genesis 330 over the older E/W (other than the E/W burners which I love, the new Genny is just better designed). I would take a higher end (470 or 6xx) Summit over the Genesis 330. At the 420 vs. 330, there is a small plus with the 420 -- it's up to you whether it's worth the cost difference.

Rich

Back