Genesis 310 2007 Copper - Possibly a Lemon???

Scott-ManThings

Hey guys. Picked up a 310 2007 Copper. Has rotisserie attachment but no roti. Got it for $150 and thought I had gotten pretty lucky. Stainless steel grates are pretty good still and box/lid are in great shape.

Cons: frame has lots of rusted spots, one of the casters fell off as I was unloading it, and the part that concerns me the most, which somehow I missed as I was buying...is that the bottom part of the cart is black while the rest is gray. I’m almost positive this isn’t the way it came...I feel like they were covering something up. Take a look at the pic and let me know what you think.

I feel pretty confident in my “Mr. Fix Anything” abilities but I think this one might be a challenge. This is my 8th Weber and I’m yet to use Bondo. I’m thinking this might be the one. Anyone tried and had luck?

One last question...anybody have an answer as to why Weber uses crappy plastic casters? I mean, I know the grill is meant to be stationary most of the time, but moving my early model Genesis’ is a dream compared to these things. End of rant

You've got rust that's for sure. Bondo does nothing here. Could be Weber has already supplies some warranty covered parts for this unit. In your position you already took the plunge. So now you'll just have to get to disassembling and repairing

You've got rust that's for sure. Bondo does nothing here. Could be Weber has already supplies some warranty covered parts for this unit. In your position you already took the plunge. So now you'll just have to get to disassembling and repairing

I already knew I was going to have to do that, haha. But on the frame, where the repainted black is peeling off, the frame of the cart is pretty rusted. You don’t think it would be better to Bondo that, get it nice and flush, and then paint? I feel like if I just paint directly over the rust, it’s not going to add any structural help.

I will be selling this one so I want to make sure someone gets a grill that’s going to not need work next year.

Bondo isn't going to help much structurally. If there isn't solid metal to support it, it will crack and chip out. Those cabinet panels are a lot thicker and flexible than a car fender or rocker panel. If it isn't rusted through, I think your best bet is to simply grind out the rust, smooth it as much as possible, prime and repaint. If it is rusted through, I think your only option would be to replace the panels. I have three E3xx grills. Two with the side controls and one with front controls. I paid $50 or less for each of them and I don't think I have rust through on any panels...but I do have rust. I haven't looked at them since last fall. I plan to dig into them soon however, but I wanted to get a few easy Silver B's and Genesis 1000's out the door first.

I agree with Bruce. Take the panels off and sand them down if they are not rusted through. Or you might want to keep an eye out for a cheap donor grill for some less rusted side panels. As for the office chair wheels I agree. They are useless. I have a cobble stone patio and occasionally I have to move my grill further from the house depending on what I am grilling. This would not work with this grill and this i why I prefer the older Genesis series.

Back