Genesis 3 (model 430000) LP manifold options?

JoseR

Apologies for the long post but I am hoping the TVWBB restoration experts can help me. I'm having insufficient heat issues with my 1980s Genesis 3 that I restored several years ago. I can only get the grill up to 375F or so, but I used to get it to just over 500F. I'm aware of bypass mode and make sure I don't open manifold valves and ignite until a minute or so after opening propane tank. I've cleaned out burner tubes, spider guards and venturis. I just replaced the regulator with a heavier duty Precimex (did the hose too). I used yellow sealing tape and cannot find any leaks.

At this point I'm thinking the manifold may be an issue. I'm not 100% sure as I got the grill about 23 years ago but I believe the manifold is original. It is the round type with two flat brackets that bolt to the fire box; the tubular part of the manifold hangs from the frame with a single stamped steel bracket. The valves are a bit sticky but it was working well earlier this year. I've also added brass fittings so I can use this old manifold with modern QCC1 regulator hoses such as the new one I just put on.

I've been unable to find a parts diagram for model 430000 but Weber tells me that I can rely on the schematic for model 471001 - a newer grill that I don't fully trust is the same. This parts diagram tells me that the manifold is Weber part # 56038 which I don't think is right as it has a square (not round) manifold tube and two wire hangers (and not the single steel bracket).

My question for the group is what Weber manifolds will I be able to fit to this grill and firebox? The square shape of Weber # 56038 may be a problem but has anyone fitted one of these to an old Genesis 3? I also see that Weber # 90383 (from a genesis gold/silver C) might work as it looks similar (and I really need the side burner connection). Any help in identifying a manifold that I can use would be very much appreciated!

Pics of my favorite Weber below:

IMG_3827.jpeg

IMG_3824.jpeg

You need a manifold for a Genesis 1-5 or Genesis 1000-5000 to replace the one on your grill. A silver/gold B or C manifold will not work. You need a manifold that already has an auxillary tap in it. Many of them do, even if they didn't use it on the original grill. They just plug it with a little 1/8" NPT plug.

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, when I search for a Genesis 1-5 / 1000-5000 manifold what I find is the square tube part # 56038 that does not look like the round one that I have. I was wondering if anyone with a Genesis 1-5 has succesfully used this square tube # 56038 manifold as I'm not sure how it would fit with the single stamped steel bracket to hang it on the frame (the bracket is designed for a round tube and not square). Thanks again!

There is nothing in the manifold to cause this. Odds are you either have a bad LP tank or perhaps get rid of the so called "heavy duty" regulator. Sounds like so much BS to me. Get an OEM. It got you by for 23 years. The only other thing possibly is you went haywire with the tape. On small fittings BTW it's better to use dope. Tape is just too thick for the small threads
Also remember. If a regulator says "adjustable" no go, if it's rated in PSI at anything higher than .3 PSI don't use it. It's supposed to be 11" WC

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, when I search for a Genesis 1-5 / 1000-5000 manifold what I find is the square tube part # 56038 that does not look like the round one that I have. I was wondering if anyone with a Genesis 1-5 has succesfully used this square tube # 56038 manifold as I'm not sure how it would fit with the single stamped steel bracket to hang it on the frame (the bracket is designed for a round tube and not square). Thanks again!
The square ones that I have came from newer silver B or C grills.

There is nothing in the manifold to cause this. Odds are you either have a bad LP tank or perhaps get rid of the so called "heavy duty" regulator. Sounds like so much BS to me. Get an OEM. It got you by for 23 years. The only other thing possibly is you went haywire with the tape. On small fittings BTW it's better to use dope. Tape is just too thick for the small threads
Also remember. If a regulator says "adjustable" no go, if it's rated in PSI at anything higher than .3 PSI don't use it. It's supposed to be 11" WC
I'm with Larry on this, your culprit is more than likely the regulator/hose assembly you just put on the grill and not the manifold.

The square ones that I have came from newer silver B or C grills.
Jose is right that the replacement manifolds they show for a Genesis 1000 look like the ones for a Silver. I never ordered a new one so can't say what you will get other than it should work. Screenshot_20220730-161610_Chrome.jpg

Very helpful, thanks. I put on this new regulator and hose (link) to try to solve this issue as I suspected the roughly 7 year old (generic) QCC1 hose and regulator was the problem. Unfortunately that did not solve the insufficient heat issue. I put on a full (but older) tank I had around but I suppose it may be no good. I suspected the manifold because I've tried to rule out other parts... I'll keep noodling on this...

Very helpful, thanks. I put on this new regulator and hose (link) to try to solve this issue as I suspected the roughly 7 year old (generic) QCC1 hose and regulator was the problem. Unfortunately that did not solve the insufficient heat issue. I put on a full (but older) tank I had around but I suppose it may be no good. I suspected the manifold because I've tried to rule out other parts... I'll keep noodling on this...
I looked at the hose and regulator you used and it seems like it should work fine as long as you made good connections. I still think that it may be your problem though. I've bought two of these and they work well, cheap too.Screenshot_20220730-172644_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The safety device in the tank might be messed up. Can you borrow an other tank and try it, preferably one that is not stuffed full. Especially since you said the grill did work OK earlier.

Check the safety device in the tank. You might also try seeing if gas actually flows through the regulator. Don't smoke while doing this. Connect it to the tank, but not to the grill. Just crack the tank slowly. If gas flows it's not anything from the regulator. If not, I would go back to it, clean off all the teflon tape. The fittings shown in the photo of the unit should never have sealant of any kind on them. They're flare fittings and are meant to be used "naked"

Giving back to the group - it was the manifold! OK, more precisely, the culprit was the valves. Despite their age they unscrewed easily off the manifold. I took the orifices off to get a better look and found 35+ years of gunk inside the valves. Not sure how it got in there but after a careful cleaning with a drill bit and blowing them out with compressed air they are as good as new. The manifold itself was also pretty dirty. After assembling all back together with yellow tape I'me getting over 550F in just a few minutes.

I will consider getting new valves but the brass was all in good shape so for now all is good! Thanks all for your suggestions!

Jose: Weber used several different valves on their grills over the years...some times different valves within model years. There should be markings on the valves that you can try to match. Weber does not sell/supply just the valves. You would need to buy an entire manifold.

Back