Genesis 3 circa 1990 restoration

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
This will be a work in progress, and I'll add in some comments and help I've received from other threads along the way.

Initially picked up for free as a "parts" grill so I could finish the red head that I had started on.

After learning more about it, and acquiring another "parts grill" I decided to get this grill operational, and then I'll consider next steps for restoring it.

First pic is the day I picked it up. Front rear burners were shot, wood falling apart but the grates and flavorizer bars were serviceable, and the most important part was the cookbox had slider rails that would hold a bottom pan.

The lower frame cross members were falling off the legs, the wood was splintered, left side swing up table missing

20211002_121935.jpg

Last edited:
A few weeks later this grill came into my possession at a bargain price, and after some discussion from < x, and y, and z> in the i'll leave it here thread I decided to use the frame from this 1998 platinum.

I like the look of the blue lid vs the maroon so I decided to start moving parts around.

20211016_160028.jpg

20211017_093353.jpg

Last edited:
< placeholder for adding the propane hanger, and swapping the swapping out NG manifold for Propane and replacing the hose to a modern and installing the side burner >

20211017_101531.jpg

20211017_123504.jpg
20211017_134255.jpg

20211017_124233.jpg

Last edited:
Burners are in decent condition. They need to be cleaned well but at this time they light and have good flame. Igniter does not work.

I'm at a stopping point for today. I am happy to have the grill operational. if I needed a grill to cook on today it is ready.

For now it may be moved to the side yard, and covered so I can finish some other work in progress that is taking up space in my garage.

20211017_142030.jpg

Last edited:
This is now a reasonably solid grill to begin restoring.

The frame has some rust to attend to on the upper cross member and along the front.

I'm not a fan of the durawood in its current condition, but it is better than nothing for now.

Last edited:
DanHoo, That is definitely a good foundation for a sharp restore. If it were me, I think I would aim for light color cedar slats that will show of the blue hood. Hopefully, the wood handle would sand down and let you get close; they never match exactly. The rest is just how far you want to go as far as parts and refinish work. Some nice new black paint on the frame, firebox and end caps will go a long ways to making that grill pop as well.

If it is going to be a keeper, I wouldn't kill myself over the inside of the firebox. On the other hand I have been know to do that! :rolleyes: For a keeper, take lots of picture to share here and for your own memories sake. Then USE it like it is meant to be used!

I have no desire for another gasser, EXCEPT that exact grill. The blue head ( doesn’t roll off the tongue like redhead haha) is one I lust after, and bonus with a side burner.

Treat her right. Congrats!

I can see where the scale pointer might get in the way of the table operating up and down properly. You may be better off with the scale pointer that doglegs to the inside of the frame instead of the outside. It looks awfully close anyway.

DanHoo, That is definitely a good foundation for a sharp restore. If it were me, I think I would aim for light color cedar slats that will show of the blue hood. Hopefully, the wood handle would sand down and let you get close; they never match exactly. The rest is just how far you want to go as far as parts and refinish work. Some nice new black paint on the frame, firebox and end caps will go a long ways to making that grill pop as well.

If it is going to be a keeper, I wouldn't kill myself over the inside of the firebox. On the other hand I have been know to do that! :rolleyes: For a keeper, take lots of picture to share here and for your own memories sake. Then USE it like it is meant to be used!

Thanks Jon.

I agree light color wood is a great match for the blue hood.

And, I need to redo the wood shelves on my BGE, and I need to build a table to hold "stuff" or build a table for the BGE. so it makes sense to coordinate the wood. I was leaning towards redwood because of availability, but cedar might be a better look.

I was tempted to buy a table for the BGE, but for the price of a table I could almost buy an E6, so that's not going to happen.

Wood is not cheap and my wood working skills lean more toward "construction grade" so I'll need to plan this out and bribe my friends with table saws and routers to help. Hmmm. Maybe they need a Genesis Gold ? I just happen to have one :)

And, whatever happens all my grills are driver's. I'm doing this for the cooking. The style and look is secondary, but once I find a good grill to cook on there is no reason it can't look awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions. It will be a fun journey.

Last edited:
I have no desire for another gasser, EXCEPT that exact grill. The blue head ( doesn’t roll off the tongue like redhead haha) is one I lust after, and bonus with a side burner.

Treat her right. Congrats!
Red Head is very catchy. Need to find a good name for blue lid Gennys.

I can see where the scale pointer might get in the way of the table operating up and down properly. You may be better off with the scale pointer that doglegs to the inside of the frame instead of the outside. It looks awfully close anyway.
I continue to be amazed at the attention to detail you-all pickup on with just a picture or two.

The pointer catches on the table slider and worse, the pointer is blocked by the table when the table is down. I'll need to work something out. One option might be as you suggest to dog leg inside the frame. Another might be to dog leg it up so it clears the slider, but keep it on the outside of the frame.

I suppose it would be sacrilegious to use a Silver B style tank gauge :D so I won't go there...

Last edited:
There is another style of that scale that already has the pointer bent to the other side. While I do think it would be a shame to bend that one up, I don't think it's wrong to use a silver b tank scale either since you're kind of mixing and matching anyway 😉

I suppose it would be sacrilegious to use a Silver B style tank gauge :D so I won't go there...
Naw. It will be harder to see the Silver scale with the table down, though, like any Silver with a RH table. I think the OG rod will end up too short if you put a dogleg in it.

I've never checked...does the Silver tank holder/scale bolt right up? The last I looked, about a year ago, the Silver scale was the only one available as a replacement part. I wouldn't hesitate if it were me, if all you have to do is drill or slot a couple of holes. I think the earlier scale is more readable, especially with the RH table down.

Last edited:
Long term, I like the old school look so having the pointer and the scale on the frame is where I'd like it to end up.

However, a Silver B tank scale bolts up to the tank hanger of a 98 Gen 1000. It is what I'm using on my Red Head Silver 1000 B right now.

Edit. Here is a Silver B tank scale on a Gen 1000 vertical mount aka my red head.20211019_180225.jpg

Last edited:
Naw. It will be harder to see the Silver scale with the table down, though, like any Silver with a RH table. I think the OG rod will end up too short if you put a dogleg in it.

I've never checked...does the Silver tank holder/scale bolt right up? The last I looked, about a year ago, the Silver scale was the only one available as a replacement part. I wouldn't hesitate if it were me, if all you have to do is drill or slot a couple of holes. I think the earlier scale is more readable, especially with the RH table down.
Yeah, you're right about bending that rod. It is only as long as it needs to be so bending it will just shorten it too much. I guess Dan will have to find the right scale and pointer, or maybe figure out how to make a pointer that will work for him.

Note for planning:

Wood slats are 15 1/4 long

Six for each table, fixed or swing up.
Nine for each bottom shelf.

36 total for a Gen 3 with righthand side burner
42 total for a Gen 2 with righthand side table

Real wood on one of those monsters is a big job for sure, but it will look fantastic. Take pictures of the back of your flip down tables before you take them apart so you can put the new ones back together easily. Without visual reference you will forget how they are supposed to be.

Back