Genesis 2000 restoration

PaulBarber

I am restoring a Genesis 2000 and the upright frame has some rust damage. I have check with Weber (Australia) if they have them but they do not. And as everything is metric down under, the steel tube available is slightly different (1 1/4" = 32mm, we only have 30mm). I am wondering if anyone know if the Spirit or Genesis silver frame the same size. I am thinking there are a few around on marketplace cheap where I could use them for parts. Everything else is good, but the uprights. I thought they were ok but unfortunately not. Otherwise is there a site that sell them and can get them to OZ??

Not sure about your question but perhaps upload some photos of the frame and damage area. Perhaps some good advice would be forthcoming.

The frames on Genesis, both 1000-5000 models and Silver/Gold models used mostly 1" and 1.25" tube steel. Grabbing a donor grill and stealing parts off it is probably your best bet. If you find another Genesis 2000-5000 with the same frame and it is in good overall shape, you might be able to swap over the entire frame. And don't feel bad, I am quite sure you cannot get new replacement frame parts for a Genesis 2000 over here either.

The Silver/Gold Genesis and SPirits do not have the same frame design however. They are not directly interchangable with your Genesis 2000....only parts would be and would have to be fabbed in. Your best bet is to find another frame in the Genesis 2000-5000 class.

I was able to repair a couple of 1-1/4" leg frames by telescoping 1" tubing inside the larger tube. 30mm tube might work with either size. 00-01 silver leg frames are the sane as x000 frames but you would need to grind off the table supports.

@PaulBarber I think the upright "H" sections from an early Silver will work. In the US they changed the frame/cart design in 2002, so it would be a 2000 (DU) or 2001 model.

I combined pieces of a Silver B and a 1000 in this one.

The left hand side upright is silver B and the right hand side is Genesis 1000

1711212169971.png

a few more pics here:

How much rust and where exactly? I have filled in small pinhole rust on frames with metal paste and repainted.

How much rust and where exactly? I have filled in small pinhole rust on frames with metal paste and repainted.
She is pretty bad. the 1" cross brace is split on 2 sides. and the bottom where the castor goes has almost disintegrated. Of course this is on both up rights, not just the one.

Attachments

• IMG_5121.JPG
    IMG_5121.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5123.JPG
    IMG_5123.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5124.JPG
    IMG_5124.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 9
@PaulBarber I think the upright "H" sections from an early Silver will work. In the US they changed the frame/cart design in 2002, so it would be a 2000 (DU) or 2001 model.

I combined pieces of a Silver B and a 1000 in this one.

The left hand side upright is silver B and the right hand side is Genesis 1000

View attachment 88201

a few more pics here:

Thanks this gives me hope. I think I will have to do this.

The frames on Genesis, both 1000-5000 models and Silver/Gold models used mostly 1" and 1.25" tube steel. Grabbing a donor grill and stealing parts off it is probably your best bet. If you find another Genesis 2000-5000 with the same frame and it is in good overall shape, you might be able to swap over the entire frame. And don't feel bad, I am quite sure you cannot get new replacement frame parts for a Genesis 2000 over here either.

The Silver/Gold Genesis and SPirits do not have the same frame design however. They are not directly interchangable with your Genesis 2000....only parts would be and would have to be fabbed in. Your best bet is to find another frame in the Genesis 2000-5000 class.

This sounds promising... not super close but worth the drive for $50! even if the uprights are damaged, i can at least use the metal to weld something as it will be the same size.

1711535901776.png

Back