Genesis 2 Restoration Progress

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I picked up a Genesis 2 a few months ago off of Craigslist, and I'm finally getting around to putting in some effort on the restoration. Overall, it was in pretty good shape when I got it, but needed a few things...... So far, I have acquired:

- Stainless flavorizer bars (the eBay guy is two towns away)
icon_smile.gif

- Stainless grates (decent deal from Weber on theirs)
- Lid thermometer (Weber)
- Ignitor (Weber)

I have pulled the wood shelves off, and removed all of the slats. I have sanded a few (see pic below), and it looks like I should be able to re-use all of the original pieces (have a woodworking friend who can make some new ones if needed.) I stripped and cleaned up the fire box and top, and repainted with Rustoleum high heat paint. I still need to finish up the wood slat restoration/clean up, but thought I'd throw up a few pics of the current state of affairs. Looking pretty good if I say so myself.
icon_smile.gif

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

I'll post up some more pictures once it's complete, but until then, I'll just have to cook on it some (those shiny bars/grate are just like having a new pair of white tennis shoes!!!)
icon_smile.gif

R

That looks great so far. I agree with your comments about the new stainless. My Silver B came with stainless parts and they did not look anywhere near as nice as yours. I scrubbed the grate a bit and it still looks pretty stained.

Did you need to do anything with the red portion of the hood? That part on mine (both black) seems to hold up pretty well, though mine are not quite as old.

best,
hank

ss will eventually stain, etc. the colored parts of the lids are porcelain so don't usually need much except some general cleaning.

Hank-

I fully expect that the stainless will stain over time (despite the name.) However, I also expect that its longevity will be much better than the non-stainless standard parts. Also, the flavorizer bars are ones that are made by a private party who sells them on eBay (and who happens to be local to me.) They are thicker than the stainless bars that Weber makes, were less expensive, and I expect should last even longer (we'll see if they have a discernible effect on heat retention, though I suspect not.)

The porcelain coated lid only needed some cleaning. I used some degreaser to try to get off some of the scum, then some 000 steel wool to finish things up and bring back the shine. I would have preferred a satin finish to the black paint I used, but none was available in a high-heat formula. It looks good enough for me, and will do it's job in fighting off rust and the elements.

R

Back