Genesis 1500 LX NG to LP

Bill N OH

Hi All,

I currently have a Genesis 1500 LX NG. I'd like to convert it to LP by swapping out the manifold. In my research I assume I can replace my NG manifold with the following LP one since it seems to fall in line with the 1000-3000 series.

Weber Genesis 1000-3000, Platinum I 1200 Propane (LP) Manifold - 56038​

I can't seem to confirm that this will be the correct LP manifold to replace the NG one. Can someone confirm or know that 56038 is the correct one? I checked with an ebay seller and they stated I needed manifold part # 63399. I can't seem to find much info for #63399.

Thanks in advance.

I would think the #56038 would work fine. Any manifold off a Genesis 1000-5000 should work. I would look for a Gensis 1000-5000 being trashed or for sale really cheap locally and strip the manifold off it.

Yep, just use an entire manifold as there is really no good way to do a conversion from NG to LP. I know how to do a full SAFE conversion from LP to NG without a manifold swap. A little complicated and time consuming and once done cannot be "undone". But even that is MUCH easier to simply swap a manifold.

I was able to score a LP manifold from someone locally on FB getting rid of a GENESIS 1000 LX LP. All for the low price of free. Can I use the NG burners or do I need to swap those as well?

I'm told the burners are the same for LP and NG.

I recall someone was recently looking for an NG manifold. You could probably charge double what you paid for the LP manifold ;)

Bill: Welcome to the forum.
Dan is correct on both accounts. The burners are the same for NG and LP. And someone was desperately looking for a Genesis 1000 NG manifold. Look into the buy, sell trade section.

Burners don't care what fuel they burn only that it is correctly mixed. So yeah use them. And definitely offer the manifold up on the site. Someone ALWAYS wants to make a grill into something it's not. You'll be ding fellow cookers a favor and maybe prevent someone from blowing themselves up :D

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to do the swap soon. Does anyone know a good place to get the square tube nut holders? I searched around amazon and ebay. I assume those could work. I would like to rebuild the frame I got the LP manifold from. My 1500 has the stationary frame.

Edit: read what @Ed Pinnell wrote below. It is spot on, and consider using the ones that @Steve Hoch listed in the next post.

I bought the square tube nut inserts on ebay. I'll dig up a link when I get home.

@Bill N OH These are the ones I ordered.

4 Pack Threaded Star Type 1"(OD) Square Tubing Insert 1/4-20 Threads S71-324

And this page is a good one to bookmark.

good luck with the rebuild.

Last edited:
I bought the square tube nut inserts on ebay. I'll dig up a link when I get home.

@Bill N OH These are the ones I ordered.

4 Pack Threaded Star Type 1"(OD) Square Tubing Insert 1/4-20 Threads S71-324

And this page is a good one to bookmark.

good luck with the rebuild.
Dan, while those will work, they are intended for adapting square tubing to a threaded caster stem where the loading is in a vertical direction. Also, they add an extra length to the tubing which can cause problems for some. The type of connector that Steve linked is a better choice and closer to OEM, but truthfully either one will work.

Dan, while those will work, they are intended for adapting square tubing to a threaded caster stem where the loading is in a vertical direction. Also, they add an extra length to the tubing which can cause problems for some. The type of connector that Steve linked is a better choice and closer to OEM, but truthfully either one will work.
Thanks Ed.

I bought these a while ago and put the project on hold for a while as I got somewhat busy. I can make the square ones work, yet it would take a little grinding for them to fit inside the tubing and flush mount like the originals.

Dan, even the ones that Steve linked are a compromise. It's like putting a round peg in a square hole at best. Weber doubled up and offset the inboard star spring washers on theirs for better retention (can't find those anywhere) and there are square-shaped connectors for square tubing out there but very expensive for small quantities.

Ed, you are of course correct. The ones I used are a compromise. I knew going in that they weren't going to hold like I wanted them to so I tried to twist the stars slightly to offset them for better hold. As it was, I only tightened them until I could feel them pulling back out.

Ed, thanks for clarifying. I think I can get the square ones working when I get around to it, but another free silver B followed me home so this became less of a priority.

Back