Genesis 1000 vs Genesis Gold c

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
I restored a Genesis Gold c last year and recently picked up a Genesis 1000 to rehab. In the end, the deck only has room for one of them. I'm torn, the gold was the first one I REALLY put together, used parts from another grill to make it REALLY nice and solid. Using 2 free grills to make one real nice one was gratifying and fun. I love how it looks and have probably more of a sentimental attachment to it. But dang do I love how the wood on the old ones look and really think the 1000 is a pretty neat grill. I don't have a real NEED for the side burner, as the deck already has 2 summit grills with side burners. If you had to choose one, what would it be and why? Do they really cook much different? Seemed like a fun discussion, so let the ideas and opinions fly!
I attached pics so you see why I've only got room for one. I have a deck build planned so these all live by themselves and we can have the deck back for people 😂 PXL_20230616_181052871.jpgPXL_20230706_000144344.jpgPXL_20231001_171121324.jpg

Doctors, for the record, please also document this as a symptom of Stage 5 Weberitis.
I'm not even in denial, I have far more than I "NEED"
We do, however, use both summits and the performer at the same time at least once a month. We do a weekly family gathering at our place with about 15 family members and they all bring something different to cook. So it's not COMPLETELY crazy 😂

And this is the 1000 in question. Little rust at the cookbox Mount point where the gold is literally perfect. I can always weld in a new brace to replace that on the 1000PXL_20240713_231501779.jpg though

Honestly the grill I would personally lose is the plain 4 burner Summit. Keep both Genesis models, lose the 4 burner
I had thought of that as well. Has a new cookbox and bottom panel, and I have a brand new in box manifold and cookbox to convert it to a 470 with the smoker box and IR burner...

Yeah as you will see, sadly that is not "a little" rust. When you open that what you will find may truly surprise and disappoint. As my Genesis looked like that. The whole crossmember was shot plus most of the frame beyond repair for me

Give me reasons WHY though, I'd love to hear some good reasons and discussion!
The lid: If the liner hasn’t already begun to rust / drop bits into your food, it will soon enough and will eventually fail completely.
The look: These particular Gold models just look kinda “spindly” for lack of better words. For reference, a fat frame Gold has a much better stance. And the 1000?…well, it’s just such a classic in form and function that you can’t go wrong.

Yeah as you will see, sadly that is not "a little" rust. When you open that what you will find may truly surprise and disappoint. As my Genesis looked like that. The whole crossmember was shot plus most of the frame beyond repair for me
I'd also considered building an exact replica frame or of aluminum, something I've thought about for a year or so now...

The lid: If the liner hasn’t already begun to rust / drop bits into your food, it will soon enough and will eventually fail completely.
The look: These particular Gold models just look kinda “spindly” for lack of better words. For reference, a fat frame Gold has a much better stance. And the 1000?…well, it’s just such a classic in form and function that you can’t go wrong.
I'm lucky, that liner is literally like new. I do really LOVE the fat framed models

I'd also considered building an exact replica frame or of aluminum, something I've thought about for a year or so now...
Yeah, it was amazing. I looked at mine and thought, I'll take the firebox out, do a little cleaning sanding and painting and call it a day. Well what looked like just a little "bubbling" paint here and there, turned into an entire crumbling frame. Literally 75% crumbling in my hands.

Yeah, it was amazing. I looked at mine and thought, I'll take the firebox out, do a little cleaning sanding and painting and call it a day. Well what looked like just a little "bubbling" paint here and there, turned into an entire crumbling frame. Literally 75% crumbling in my hands.
I've done a little tapping and poking here and there, other than that one spot it appears solid. Only way to know is full disassembly though

Personally I prefer cooking on an x000 with the deeper cookbox over a silver/gold. It is a subtle difference but one area is if a rotisserie is used as the burners are lower and with grates removed you can put a drip pan on the second set of flavorizer bars.

I also prefer enamel lids over SS lids but that's cosmetic. potential for rust on the inner liner is a concern for SS lids.

I like the thermoset flip up tables on Silver and Golds. They work effortlessly and they don't stick. I like the look of the wood slats on x000, however the maintenance of thermoset is almost minimal.

If space is a concern I'd go with a smaller footprint of the 1000.

If you don't want to go with wood, here's an idea. I combined half a Silver B frame with half of a Genesis 1000 frame to get the benefits of a 13 bar cookbox with the ease of maintenance of a Silver B.

1722618967728.png

more details here:

Personally I prefer cooking on an x000 with the deeper cookbox over a silver/gold. It is a subtle difference but one area is if a rotisserie is used as the burners are lower and with grates removed you can put a drip pan on the second set of flavorizer bars.

I also prefer enamel lids over SS lids but that's cosmetic. potential for rust on the inner liner is a concern for SS lids.

I like the thermoset flip up tables on Silver and Golds. They work effortlessly and they don't stick. I like the look of the wood slats on x000, however the maintenance of thermoset is almost minimal.

If space is a concern I'd go with a smaller footprint of the 1000.

If you don't want to go with wood, here's an idea. I combined half a Silver B frame with half of a Genesis 1000 frame to get the benefits of a 13 bar cookbox with the ease of maintenance of a Silver B.

View attachment 97150

more details here:

That's an excellent reply with some good details! I hadn't considered the table maintenance aspect. And that's a great idea combining the best of both. Thanks!

I'm lucky, that liner is literally like new. I do really LOVE the fat framed models
I think the fat frame 00-01 could actually give you the best of both worlds, as the cook boxes have the same dimensions (same drip pan, same manifold, same 8006 panel) as those in the x000s. They just slightly modified the casting mold to remove the"seats" which hold the upper 8 bars, and made the 5 remaining bars taller. Must have been just a cost cutting move on Weber's part.....

I think it would be a lot easier to answer your own question if you first restored the Genesis 1000 and then cooked on it for a bit.

Back