Genesis 1000 redhead (1992)

Now all you have to do is fix that emblem. Here is how I do it. Clean it well with solvent (lacquer thinner what have you). Paint the whole thing. Once the paint has fully hardened get a good hard very flat block of some kind wrap it with wet dry paper and sand away the paint on raised surfaces go down to a very fine (say 600/800) and finish it until the raised areas are smooth and shiny. You could even do a custom color

I do it similar, but backwards, for my chisels. I take the flat surface and use the sticky back (psa) sand paper on it. Then I run the surface back-n-forth on the sandpaper instead of running the sandpaper back-n-forth. Same results, just a different way to get there. :)

I have 2 red heads I picked up from CL just waiting for their turn in the rehab process. Nicely done on yours!

2013-05-11100725_zps3b5a62b2.jpg

20130511_135556_zps0898975b.jpg

Couldn't resist......

Last edited:
I do it similar, but backwards, for my chisels. I take the flat surface and use the sticky back (psa) sand paper on it. Then I run the surface back-n-forth on the sandpaper instead of running the sandpaper back-n-forth. Same results, just a different way to get there. :)

I have 2 red heads I picked up from CL just waiting for their turn in the rehab process. Nicely done on yours!

Thank you Sir.

Save one for me Bob! They look great. So many good meals to be had in the years to come!

Haha will do Jeff, you just cant beat the taste of BBQ. Got a big get together today for Mothers day, making a few Roterissiere Chickens, some burgers, sausages, MORE chicken, and some nice cold beers.

This about the same type maybe a few years newer, but same style of my very first gas grill. That thing was a beauty very even heat and great tasting food out of that unit. was trashed in a move which is why I now have a S310 just a newer version of a great grill family.

It looks like you are going about this in the right manner SS parts in the heat box, nice clean up of the frame, can't wait to see your wood replacement. Get a good weber cover and it will last another 25 years easy.
Very nice job.

Kevin

This about the same type maybe a few years newer, but same style of my very first gas grill. That thing was a beauty very even heat and great tasting food out of that unit. was trashed in a move which is why I now have a S310 just a newer version of a great grill family.

It looks like you are going about this in the right manner SS parts in the heat box, nice clean up of the frame, can't wait to see your wood replacement. Get a good weber cover and it will last another 25 years easy.
Very nice job.

Kevin

Ty Kevin, means a lot to me. I already got a Weber cover for it. I plan to tackle the wood part of this project over the weekend. Here's a quick pic I took of my Weber family.

green performer

22.5 WSM

The Genesis

Summit s-670 NG

Was replacing the knobs on the Summit...Enjoy
2013-05-13171458_zps5b44567a.jpg

2013-05-13163311_zpse3b0729e.jpg

2013-05-13163315_zps0258b88d.jpg

Made some rotisserie chicken on the summit as well for lunch today

Got a Baby Q on the other side of the property. Great little grill

Last edited:
Nice family I would love to have a Summit 450,or 650 they are Kings. I am actually looking at either a used WSM ,, or Kamado grill next.
Can not wait to see the wood installed.

Kevin

I'm getting ready to restore a Redhead 1000. Is there nothing that can be done to dress up the interior of the cooking box?Couldn't you paint with high temp paint, burn it off, even burn some wood in it?. Anyone have experience?

What's the point? Scrape out the heavy grease and carbon and fuggeddaboudit. Spend your time on the outside

I was out at the lakehouse this weekend scoping out our old NG model. I totally forgot it was green :eek: I looked for the model and serial# on the right side but all the lettering was worn off so I have no clue what exact model I'm dealing with... Does it mean anything that there is an additional drop in side table to the right?? I assume this is where a side burner would drop in if it were equipped with one.

As I mentioned earlier, the bottom shelf is wood slats like the upper side tables. The uppers including the fold down one are in good shape aside from the wood being weathered. The bottom shelf is in two sections that lift out but the metal brackets that hold the slats together are completely rotten. Are these brackets available?? I'm a woodworker so I can easily fashion a couple new shelves for down there but if the brackets are out there I'd like to keep it looking factory fresh. I'll be making new slats for all the work surfaces though, perhaps from redwood but I'm undecided... The cooking grate, burners and flash tube, much to my surprise, look to be in pretty darn good shape. The flavor bars on the other hand, are totally gone. Where did you get your replacements? I dropped the ball and didn't get any pics and we're home already but I'll be back up next weekend so I'll snap a few pics before the restoration begins.

Nice Grill. I have a redhead 1000 that I bought off of CL a few years ago from the original owner. He even still had the owner's manual. I replaced the burners and flavorizing bars with SS ones and did some painting on the outside black portions. I use this grill or my Silver A when I want to do some fast cooking.

Wayne

Back