Genesis 1000 red rebuild suggestions and help

Roy Kosin

I need some help in restoring this Genesis 1000. I got it off CL a couple of years ago and just used it until finally something has be done…as you can see the flavorizer bars, grates, and burners are all gone. I was planning on ditching it but stumbled on your site and I am now excited about getting it back in form. I wish I could do the full restore but I am about to put 3 kids through college so I will do the basics for now (hopefully < $150), try some cleanup and paint and enjoy what I hear (I don’t think the burners have worked well since I got it) is a wonderful grill.

I have read through a few threads and done some searching but maybe someone can give me some quick answers or directions.

Before I invest, one thing causes me to hesitate. As you can see in the picture, there is a fair amount of rust on the manifold. The gas controls seem to work well and the gas flow seems good (just too many holes in the burners). The manifold would be a big investment so some input on that part would be appreciated.

For these 3 key parts, where is the best place to get them and what is the best recommendation (SS, etc.):

flavorizer bars
grates
burners

Thanks-*-Roy
IMG_1508_zpsc1da0be4.jpg

IMG_1515_zps3cf3c66f.jpg

IMG_1521_zpsce79798a.jpg

IMG_1528_zpsb501705a.jpg

IMG_1519_zps8815cd8e.jpg

How's the re-build going, Roy? How close to the beach are you, the rusting seems pretty bad. Ditto what Tim said. Assuming you can find non rusted parts, picking up a couple more Genny 1000s and cherry picking the best parts works jus' fine. See here.

I need some help in restoring this Genesis 1000. I got it off CL a couple of years ago and just used it until finally something has be done…as you can see the flavorizer bars, grates, and burners are all gone. I was planning on ditching it but stumbled on your site and I am now excited about getting it back in form. I wish I could do the full restore but I am about to put 3 kids through college so I will do the basics for now (hopefully < $150), try some cleanup and paint and enjoy what I hear (I don’t think the burners have worked well since I got it) is a wonderful grill.

I have read through a few threads and done some searching but maybe someone can give me some quick answers or directions.

Before I invest, one thing causes me to hesitate. As you can see in the picture, there is a fair amount of rust on the manifold. The gas controls seem to work well and the gas flow seems good (just too many holes in the burners). The manifold would be a big investment so some input on that part would be appreciated.

For these 3 key parts, where is the best place to get them and what is the best recommendation (SS, etc.):

flavorizer bars
grates
burners

Thanks-*-Roy
IMG_1508_zpsc1da0be4.jpg

IMG_1515_zps3cf3c66f.jpg

IMG_1521_zpsce79798a.jpg

IMG_1528_zpsb501705a.jpg

IMG_1519_zps8815cd8e.jpg

I own that model. I just replaced the burners, flavorizer bars, and igniter about two months ago. I bought all parts directly from Weber online. I'm not like the others in this forum, i.e. I consider myself a novice. I took the path of least resistance. One of the reasons I'm a fan of Weber is because this company is one of the few that manufactures its own replacement parts, unlike some of the others who recommend universal replacement parts because they don't manufacture their own. I learned my lesson when I owned a Charmglow grill. It was state-of-the-art when I bought it; but, when it came time to replace the worn out parts...like I said, I learned my lesson.

Regarding my comment about the others in this forum...I meant that as a compliment. I look to them for advice and guidance; but, I felt compelled to weigh in with my opinion on your question.

Roy,
I've restored a couple of the 1000 model Webers. The great thing is there are a bizzllion of them out there. You may want to look for another as a doner for the manifold, around here i can get them in good to very good condition for $40 or less and thats what I did to restore one of mine took two decent ones and made one that was in very nice condition.

Flavorizer bars I bought off eBay from "rcplanebuyer" just find your size, he was cheaper and the stainless steel was a thicker gauge.

Good luck....

I went with flavorizer bars from rcblanebuyer on ebay and SS grill grates from amazon. The next step is going to be dismantle, clean and paint. (paint outside of firebox, frame etc not hood or cooking area)

The red top lid can be cleaned with a Brillo pad, mine was pretty dirty and paint on it and came out pretty clean.

RonW.

Back