Genesis 1000 Interchangeable Manifold?

Ed, if you're smart enough to fix this problem then you're probably smart enough to not let it happen in the first place. I think the good advice here is to not encourage people to just take their valves apart to clean them. It's just not that simple in a lot of climates. I'm certainly no genius, but I do learn from my mistakes. You're taking a chance disassembling the valves on your manifold that may not be worth the risk. Soak them down with a penetrant and clean them off with a wire brush. That will take care of 90% of the problems without causing more work or the expense of another manifold.
I agree completely, Steve. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think in this case the valve was frozen, so it's useless anyway, might as well try to fix it before it goes in the trash, maybe learn something along the way.

The technique I described was how I used to remove allen head flathead screws at work when the hex socket got rounded out. Of course, I had a Bridgeport mill at my disposal, but this technique worked the best for me. Most of the time, it's the large metal to metal surface area under the head of a countersunk screw that is the problem, not corrosion, or at least that's been my experience. Most of the time the threaded portion will come out easily once the head is removed. YMMV, of course.

I agree completely, Steve. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think in this case the valve was frozen, so it's useless anyway, might as well try to fix it before it goes in the trash, maybe learn something along the way.

The technique I described was how I used to remove allen head flathead screws at work when the hex socket got rounded out. Of course, I had a Bridgeport mill at my disposal, but this technique worked the best for me. Most of the time, it's the large metal to metal surface area under the head of a countersunk screw that is the problem, not corrosion, or at least that's been my experience. Most of the time the threaded portion will come out easily once the head is removed. YMMV, of course.
I totally agree with you but just hope that nobody has to get to that point.

If there is a silver lining here, it's that John has a clearly defined center in that screw now.

One thing that I think causes people much problems is trying to remove those stubborn screws while the manifold is still on the grill. Better to take it off, mount it in a vice or even go so far as to unscrew the valve and get it into a vice so it's solid

Probably finding a good high quality tiny screwdriver would help too. All too often we just grab the free eye glass screwdriver that came with the .99 cent eyeglass repair kit.

Back