Genesis 1000 Interchangeable Manifold?

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
Hello,

I bought the Redhead (Genesis 1000) last year but am stumped trying to get the screws out of the seized valve in order to repair it.

I found this black one locally for dirt cheap ($35)

My question is, is the Black one also a Genesis 1000, and/or can the manifold from it be swapped onto my Redhead?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-213218.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-213218.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220429-121058.jpg
    Screenshot_20220429-121058.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Why not swap the entire manifold? That should be the least amount of work, unless the manifold on the back lid 1000 is badly rusted.

But, to answer your question, yes the valves should be able to be swapped. I would compare the sizes and threads, use gas-safe pipe dope and check for leaks.

Why not swap the entire manifold? That should be the least amount of work, unless the manifold on the back lid 1000 is badly rusted.

But, to answer your question, yes the valves should be able to be swapped. I would compare the sizes and threads, use gas-safe pipe dope and check for leaks.
Sorry, actually that's what I was asking, if the entire manifold is swappable.

As others already stated, you can just swap the manifolds. I'm wondering though if you tried spraying some penetrating oil on that valve to loosen it up? I would spray some on the shaft as well as the screws and let it soak in for a few hours at least. Easy enough to do and it's worked well for me in the past, even freeing up stuck valves without disassembly.

Yeah I would try a little PBlaster on it. What happens is the cover where the stem goes through gets corroded badly, and literally locks them up. PBlaster has come to my rescue on this repair more than a few times

As others already stated, you can just swap the manifolds. I'm wondering though if you tried spraying some penetrating oil on that valve to loosen it up? I would spray some on the shaft as well as the screws and let it soak in for a few hours at least. Easy enough to do and it's worked well for me in the past, even freeing up stuck valves without disassembly.

Yeah I would try a little PBlaster on it. What happens is the cover where the stem goes through gets corroded badly, and literally locks them up. PBlaster has come to my rescue on this repair more than a few times
So what I tried so far was just to PBlaster the tiny screws and try to remove them, but they were stuck so badly that I was afraid of stripping them, so I gave up.

I didn't realize I could try to twist the whole stem too...

Any tips for tools to use to twist it after I PBlaster soak the stem itself?

PXL_20220430_185613159.jpg

So if this doesn't move with the cap pushing down in a couple days soaking it, can I smack it with a rubber mallet? What are my options?

Not sure from the picture, but it almost looks like the valve stem and collar is a bit chewed up. If it doesn't loosen up after a couple treatements with PBblaster, then I think you are probably going to be looking at replacing the valve or mabye better, the whole manifold.
Keep trying the screws as well.

Sooo whaddya know, I put the cap on it, and can twist it all the way around now, but, it doesn't depress down and up like the others.

Will it still work?

Good, keep at it until it does pop up and down like it's supposed to. Clean all the dirt and penetrant off and reapply.

It might but it sounds like it is stripped out and probably badly gunked up and trashed inside. I suggest moving on from it.

I dunno, I'd make sure to hit those screws with the blaster too, and then when you can get the screws out you'll be able to clean the whole thing up and see its insides, to determine what you think.

The good news is I am able to pop it up and down now.

So I guess my last question is, do I need to clean out the PBlaster at all somehow before using it?

No, I think you are fine with the PBblaster. I maintain that I would be very cautious about using that valve. However, if you do, I suggest running for a good 15-30 minutes or so to clean it out out well. It probably isn't a real problem, but I tried PBblaster on my last Ribeye and it is not a seasoning I recommend.

I'd also do a soap bubble test on that valve if it was me. Just spray some soapy water on it and make sure there are no bubbles. This way you would be able to detect any gas leaks. Also, if you don't already, I would definitely shut off the gas at the source for that grill, I guess in this case I would close the propane tank when I wasn't using the grill. But if you've got PB blaster cleaning out the inside of the valve, I don't think that's going to cause a huge problem. Like bruce said though, there are a great many varieties of better tasting wet rubs than PB!

Back