genesis 1000 drip tray

Esther-CO

Keeping my fingers crossed that one day, by some miracle, I will find a used (new would work too) replacement drip tray. It is no longer being produced by Weber. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, the best way to get one these days is to find a used grill like yours and get it just for parts. I do see them pop up on ebay once in a while though. There are also a few recent cases of members here finding a new one for sale. All you can do is keep looking, the part # if you don't already have it is 40968012. I have it memorized because it's something I continue to look for myself, hoping to find a brand new one. Edit: I found a company in Germany still has some brand new for 32 Euros, but I don't think they ship to the US.

Last edited:
Yes this is becoming a very serious challenge facing us who restore older style Genesis grills. Unfortunately, they are a major component that takes a lot of stress over time and are susceptible to chips and inevitable rust. I sure wish one of the overseas companies would take note and make replicas like they do of grates, burners and flavorizer bars.

Yah, seems a factory could set up to stamp them out of Stainless one after another. They could probably make them and sell them for $50 and make a nice profit.

I sure wish one of the overseas companies would take note and make replicas like they do of grates, burners and flavorizer bars.
I do too, but the problem is most likely one of tooling. All the things that Weber had already outsourced are easily counterfeited, rebranded, and then sold here. It's something that has been going on for years in other industries as well, think auto parts as a prime example. The problem with the drip tray is that it's a part that most likely was only made here in the States, and without that tooling supplied by the original manufacturer is difficult to reverse engineer. If Weber had outsourced the manufacturing of Genesis 1000 grills, for example, we would probably be able to buy entire grills that were identical in every way still. They would just have a different name on them.

There are lots of manufacturers that make virtually identical parts for vehicles. I don't think recreating a Genesis 1000 drip pan would be all that difficult. Sometimes the off brand parts are even superior to OE parts. Just thinking of things like Brakes and wheel bearings. A host of companies make replacement parts for vehicles and likely they never had a contract with the car companies to make them for the car companies. A brake bearing would be a lot harder to reproduce that would fit a certain vehicle that it would be to reproduce a drip pan....IMO.

I have a feeling if one of the Chinese companies would put out a decent product and it started selling them like hot cakes, you would have 3 or 4 others jump into the game immediately. They are great at copying over there. No so great at inventing or designing.

I have a feeling if one of the Chinese companies would put out a decent product and it started selling them like hot cakes, you would have 3 or 4 others jump into the game immediately. They are great at copying over there. No so great at inventing or designing.
And that was part of my point, it's a lot easier when they already have machines set up to make certain things to copy them. As you said, starting from scratch is not their strong suit.

Making a stamped part is not hard to do, and they have the know-how to make the needed tooling. The main point is recoveing the initial tooling cost.
For us with weberitis it looks like there is a big demand for this part, in reality, they may only sell a few hundreds.
Let's say that R&D and tooling is only $10K, and they make a nice $25 profit on each piece. They still need to sell 400 pieces just to break even.

I have heard of 3d printer filament that produces heat resistant parts.

the technology is constantly improving- eventually it might be feasible to print these trays.

I have heard of 3d printer filament that produces heat resistant parts.

the technology is constantly improving- eventually it might be feasible to print these trays.

That is really interesting. I would NEVER have imagined that a 3D printed object could be made for such high temperatures. I guess my reservation would be that if you had a bad grease fire it would be a China Syndrome event with the bottom of your grill melting through and pouring down below.:eek:

Back