Genesis 1000 burner tube and cook box interior questions

B.C. Deck

Hi all,
I am almost ready to start on the refurb of my new (to me) Genesis 1000. I hooked a bottle of propane to it and checked the burners, and they all lit. I do want to clean the burners and the inside of the cook box, and I’ve seen some people talking about using a wire wheel for the burners, at least.

My first question: Is it a bad idea to wire wheel all the burner tubes until they are completely shiny? On the one hand, this might get all the debris off and clean the flame holes nicely. On the other hand, there may be a layer of oxidation built up, that is essentially protecting the rest of the metal, and why wheeling until shiny would just expose more new metal to oxidation.

My second question: Can I use a steel wool pad (ie Brillo or some such) on the inside of the cook box, or is that too abrasive?

If it’s just for your personal use, I would just brush them to remove loose crud, knock the dust out of the inside and put them back after you clean the box interior. Unless they are awful and about to fail then, just replace them. They sit under the flavorizer bars so, they don’t have to be spit polished.
The inside? You can do that pretty much any way you are driven to. I’ve used paint scrapers to get the worst build up out then on to a wire cup brush in a drill. The guys that do a lot sometimes have them sandblasted for resale and fresh paint on the outside but, that may be more than you want/need to do.
Welcome to a realm of folks with serious cases of “Weberitis”(the need for acquiring or restoring Weber grills) when’re you can go as far as you want!

Here is a video.

My second question: Can I use a steel wool pad (ie Brillo or some such) on the inside of the cook box, or is that too abrasive?
A razor blade works well to clean the inside, and if you want to you can polish it with 0000 steel wool and simple green.

Edit: my comment was for cleaning the inside of the enamel lid.

I don't do much to clean the inside of the cook boxes. I scrape the heavy stuff out with a 5 in 1 paint scraper.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am almost ready to start on the refurb of my new (to me) Genesis 1000. I hooked a bottle of propane to it and checked the burners, and they all lit. I do want to clean the burners and the inside of the cook box, and I’ve seen some people talking about using a wire wheel for the burners, at least.

My first question: Is it a bad idea to wire wheel all the burner tubes until they are completely shiny? On the one hand, this might get all the debris off and clean the flame holes nicely. On the other hand, there may be a layer of oxidation built up, that is essentially protecting the rest of the metal, and why wheeling until shiny would just expose more new metal to oxidation.

Nylon sanded brush

20240717_195014.jpg20240717_194939.jpg20240717_195801.jpg

Back