Genesis 1000 Bottom Crossbar Repair

I used the star connectors on both of my last two rehabs. Super simple to replace. So simple that it isn't worth dragging out the welder for.
Do you put a bolt in them and pound them in like your driving a nail? It really is that easy to do.

No, you insert the star connector about 1/4 to 1/2" into the tube, then place the tube and screw the bolt into it. It is that simple.

No, you insert the star connector about 1/4 to 1/2" into the tube, then place the tube and screw the bolt into it. It is that simple.

Well I took 3 crossbars to the blaster. Two that were not broken and 1 that was broken on 1 side. So, I should be good ...

Steve, yes. I put the bolt in the connector and then lightly tap the connector down into the tube about 1/4 to 1/2" Then take the bolt out, place the tube in position and then screw the bolt in on each end.
Ok, yeah. That's exactly how I do it too.

I don't mess with the bottom tubes being loose, I weld them in place, never turn again.
I understand that not everyone is a welder.1000006838.jpg1000006837.jpg

I don't mess with the bottom tubes being loose, I weld them in place, never turn again.
I understand that not everyone is a welder.View attachment 93406View attachment 93407
The only drawback to doing that is that the frame can't easily be taken apart again if need be. That being said, I wish you were my neighbor, it would save me a lot of hassle on some of the crap that I deal with on my grills.

I just installed (4) of these star nuts in the cross braces last week

Star inserts like these go inside and wedge against the tube like the OEM. Some people linked the McMaster Carr with the square plate, those are for leg ends to install casters when the frame weight pushes down on the plate and the star inside attempts to keep it from turning vs pulling out like in our application.

I used a 1x4 piece of wood, drilled a 1/4" hole, and put a 1 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt through. Used a fender washer on both sides. Turns out the fender washer is bigger than the 1" tube so when you tap the bolt head down on top of the board the bottom washer drives insert into the tube square to end.

I added a 1/4" washer below the nut, so the insert would go just a little deeper into the tube. When I installed and tightened up the 1/4x3-2" frame bolt I could see the star washer making a small bulge visible on the tube OD, so know it was making a good bite into the inside. Rock solid, very happy with this repair.

Insert tool.jpgStar.jpgInsert installed.jpg

Steve, very true on not being able to ever disassemble them bottom pieces again, unless you're a welder 😉
I would love being your neighbor but you would have to move to Eau Claire, I've already put in 45 years in Illinois, had enough 😱

I just installed (4) of these star nuts in the cross braces last week

Star inserts like these go inside and wedge against the tube like the OEM. Some people linked the McMaster Carr with the square plate, those are for leg ends to install casters when the frame weight pushes down on the plate and the star inside attempts to keep it from turning vs pulling out like in our application.

I used a 1x4 piece of wood, drilled a 1/4" hole, and put a 1 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt through. Used a fender washer on both sides. Turns out the fender washer is bigger than the 1" tube so when you tap the bolt head down on top of the board the bottom washer drives insert into the tube square to end.

I added a 1/4" washer below the nut, so the insert would go just a little deeper into the tube. When I installed and tightened up the 1/4x3-2" frame bolt I could see the star washer making a small bulge visible on the tube OD, so know it was making a good bite into the inside. Rock solid, very happy with this repair.

View attachment 93408View attachment 93410View attachment 93409
So does this jig basically just pressure push the fitting into the square opening, then you unscrew the bolt and the fitting remains inside?

And the nut is basically setting the depth?

I use a 5/8” long bolt and thread it all the way into the insert just finger tight. I then turn the tube upside down on a solid flat surface and hit the other end with a rubber mallet. Then I just back out the bolt by hand. It sinks the insert evenly and to a perfect depth every time.

Back