Gasser Chimney Starter

This looks really coool
icon_cool.gif
Bob Correll found this thing on Amazon.....anybody use one yet? Looks like an inexpensive way to add a gas lighter to your "toy box" if you don't allready have a Performer. Lookin forward to your review Bob....great find
icon_smile.gif
http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal...id=1262024294&sr=8-1

I've just started using a chimney starter, having returned to charcoal with my new WSM, and it seems pretty easy to do the newspaper thing.

Is this meant just for convenience, or is there a speed benefit or something? It looks like a cure for a disease I don't have... heh.

Seems kinda expensive for such a specialized piece of equipment.

I use the side burner on my genesis or my turkey fryer (which can be had for about the same price or less, and which is much more useful than just starting coals)

Gotta go with Dave on this one. A Craigslist turkey fryer with accessories is cheaper than this and has a lot more uses.

But it is kind of cool!
icon_smile.gif

I grew tired of newspaper ash blowing around my patio, so, a minute or two on the Performers lighter was my answer.
icon_wink.gif
Its mostly a convenience issue.... The weed burner deal would work as well,..as wood the gasser side burner, turkey fryer, etc .... if you don't have any of these toys and would like a gas lighter ... not a bad deal, particularily if you also need a chimney ....
icon_cool.gif

I still swear by the Weber Starter Cubes. No ash, no mess, and lights a chimney no problem. You can find them online in 24 packs. I ordered 3 packs today and after shipping it came to about $.27 per cube.

I could see where these could come in handy at say a comp where you're packing light but need an easy way (besides newspaper) to start your coals. I'd use it just because it's a space saver.

Plus I'm a toy guy. I loves me some toys! Especially when it's bbq related.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Im still happy with the Weber Starter Cubes but I sometimes use my Weed Burner. its a fun way to light the coals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg M.:
I still swear by the Weber Starter Cubes. No ash, no mess, and lights a chimney no problem. You can find them online in 24 packs. I ordered 3 packs today and after shipping it came to about $.27 per cube. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

go to doitbest.com and search "816418" $4.79/24 pack. Choose the option to ship it to a store near you for free. Can also use coupon code "customercancel" for 10% off if your order total is over $25 - I order 20 lbs. of applewood, 20 lbs. of pecan wood and a 24 pack of weber starters for a total of $35.29 after tax.

808763 2 Texas Smoke Pecan Chunks 14.91
804908 2 10lb Apple Wood Chunks 14.92
816418 1 24pk Firestarter Cubes 4.32

The side burner of the gasser works like a charm. I never use the performer burner, too weak and slow...side burner lights in just 2-3 minutes.

I bought one end of 2008. They were $35 then. Works great. But - I really don't use it that much since I use the lighter in the Performer most of the time to ignite my chimney for the WSM I only use it when the Performer is in use and I need to light and load the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg M.:
I still swear by the Weber Starter Cubes. No ash, no mess, and lights a chimney no problem. You can find them online in 24 packs. I ordered 3 packs today and after shipping it came to about $.27 per cube. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also use the weber cubes. Very easy to start the chimney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gotta go with Dave on this one. A Craigslist turkey fryer with accessories is cheaper than this and has a lot more uses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

me too. I bought a cajun cooker (propane burner) for $40 and it does way more than just light my charcoal.

I use the grease soaked paper towels (natural/unbleached)that I use to soak the grease off my fried bacon. This way I am using something that cannot be recycled. The bacon grease soaked paper smells great and lights my chimney as well as anything I have tried and is free. If I don't have grease soaked towels I use a capful of waste peanut oil from my chicken fryer on some newspaper or waste paper towel. Both free, chemical free, and they both smell great to me, unlike Webers wax firestarters.

Nice solution Chris. I have a "vintage" version of that. It's about 30 years old. The tank formed one "leg" when installed and then there were to additional legs that folded out allowing it to set up off the ground. Still works too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Brines:
I bought one of these Coleman propane burners @ dick's for $25. Lights a chimney in about a minute.

410DWQGAJ5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what I'm picking up this weekend.
icon_biggrin.gif
I have the burner that screws directly onto the canister but I have never seen this one. While not as fun as firing up the turkey fryer to light a chimney it definitely looks easier. Thanks for the post!

Back