gaskets

Hey guys. Wife just told me that she ordered me a new wsm 22.5 for Father's Day next week. This will be my first wsm. Been cooking on a genesis for several years and bouncing off the walls for true smoke. I was thinking about doing this mod when I get it. I figured I would like to cook on it a bit and season it before I decide if this is necessary, but also thinking it will be easier and better adhering to a nice new clean grill. What do you think? Worth the $30 or just season it up with a bunch of fatty meat? Thanks!

I would just do it right out the box,that's what I did. It's easier than using and then having the bug to do a mod to it only to clean it and do the mod (gasket) any way

Does anyone have a pic showing the application of the bottom gasket? I am thinking I'll do mine so that it's mostly on the vertical surface and only slightly rolled up on the curve. If it's all on the vertical I could see it causing problems when putting on the mid section. Seems it could catch on the gasket and potentially pull it off.

Thanks,
BS

Brian I don't think u really have to bother with the bottom half unless its a preference of urs. I only did my door and top half and its super tight, but that's me..

I just bought the gasket today and i was wondering if it is better to put the gasket on the door or on the grill were the door touches?

If it's all on the vertical I could see it causing problems when putting on the mid section. Seems it could catch on the gasket and potentially pull it off.
Thanks,
BS

Brian... That is how mine is attached, since December of 2011. Finally coming loose in a few areas. But it's time to replace all of it anyways...

Bob

I just bought the gasket today and i was wondering if it is better to put the gasket on the door or on the grill were the door touches?

Kevin, I think its a matter of preference butbi think the gasket on the door would give u a cleaner look. I did the body thing cuz I'm not cooking for looks,lol,I'm cooking to eat lol. I think either way u will be good.

If it was an OEM item, it would be on the door.
One of the suppliers shows it installed on the barrel, so many follow that lead.

Either way is going to work.

For a more professional appearance, put it on the door.

@Jay - Mine leaks all over and they sent enough gasket for both. I'll be getting RTV on my fingers anyways. :)

@Joe F - That is a good point. I don't like the way it looks when attached to the grill. Mine will be going on the door.

Thanks,
BS

I ended up installing it on the grill and your right it doesn't look pretty. But as long as the meat looks good who cares!

@Jay - Mine leaks all over and they sent enough gasket for both. I'll be getting RTV on my fingers anyways. :)

@Joe F - That is a good point. I don't like the way it looks when attached to the grill. Mine will be going on the door.

Thanks,
BS

Brian, take a look here. I had the same question and this is how I installed it on the back of the door. I had to do a little bear hug love to the new cb door to get it aligned properly, but with the new gasket it doesn't leak one bit and has a clean look. Very happy with it.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52688-New-WSM-22-5-atc-and-mods

I got my gaskets installed, but not without a bit of trouble. I should have read the instructions more carefully and taken to heart the "Install only on horizontal surfaces" warning. I installed the gasket on the firebox a bit too much on the vertical surface and it made a very tight fit to insert the middle section. Ended up having to tear it off. Was bit bent about that, but it was my own damn fault. As it turned out it was plenty air tight with the upper and door gasket that the DIGIQ worked perfectly. If the fan wasn't running the fire would start to die. Fan would come on and kept the temp at 250. So I'm a happy camper. My only complaint would be that the RTV is bright red. Does it only come in that color? I'm a bit messy with such things and black would have hidden that fact a bit better. I won't be posting any pics. :)

I installed the gasket to the inside on my CB door, and then I installed it to the top lip and bottom of the barrel. It was a little tight the first couple of times I pulled it apart and put it back together, but there is no issue now. I guess it got smushed and gunked a bit. :cool:

I'm using the 1/8" self stick gasket on mine. I put it on the vertical sides of the door and horizontal on the drum at the top of the door since I wasn't certain if I could get the gasket under the door latch for my 18.5" WSM. I did notice for the self stick gasket, it did shrink a little after use and it caused a small gap to open at the top of the door but I carefully cleaned the area and put a small 'patch' in. The door is now air tight again.

Dave

Back