Gas or electric smoker?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I know you guys have warned me, but I have decided not to go the route of the WSM b/c i don't want to deal with the charcoal at this point. I plan to use it at my hunting camp and need to be able to turn it on and forget it while i am out hunting. The brinkman seems to fit the bill and with the warm weather in Florida, maintaining temps should be ok. However, bass pro has a gas smoker on sale from $130 to $90. I also saw an electric called MECO.

pls advise as to which you think is better (or perhaps the lesser of the two evils, lol). I like being able to plug in, but it seems you have less temp regulation. All options seem to be about $90 all in.

My first cooker was an electric Meco - I made some good stuff because water boils at 212 or a bit higher and that is a good temp for 'Q. I would put a pizza pan on the element and put wood ships on the pan, or I would put wood chunks on the element.

However, no way I want to give up my WSM and go back to the Meco!

David, I live in Texas and started with an electric unit. It was good to learn with and do basic Q'ing.

That said, it was/is not the same quality build as a WSM. I had to replace the electric heating element several times and eventually it died of 'cancer' which is what my family called it when it rusted through the bottom.

I am now a new WSM owner. I debated about getting another electic unit, but am glad I stepped up to the WSM. I'm producing some of the best BBQ I've ever done and I think the Weber construction makes for easier cleaning than the old electric unit. Plus, it's a little harder to get the level of smoke flavor with chunks on the electric coil because they only really smoke where they are near the coil.

The electric unit is pretty much a set and leave unit (except for refilling water pans and checking to see that it hasn't blown a fuse). The WSM so far hasn't taken much fiddling either.

My advice - if you're not committed yet and want to get off for $60 to see if you like BBQ'ing, get the electic unit. But if you are committed, spend once and get the WSM.

Hope this helps.

I first bought my WSM in 1987. I had no resources except the Weber instruction book to learn how to manage the fire and we all know how informative THAT is! It was hit-and-miss and I did get a few good meals from it but I had no idea why. Where was Chris Allingham when I needed him???

In frustration, I bought a MECO and put a few good meals on the table but I just didn't get the satisfaction from the method. And really still didn't know what I was doing. I still have it but haven't used it since I found TVWB.

If you do go with a MECO or a similar unit, I'd recommend that you keep on hand a spare element and thermostat. I had to replace mine after just a few uses but the company had excellent customer service and replaced them.

Gas might be a little more expensive but might be more reliable in case of power outages, etc.
Costco had a gas unit for sale. Their website has THIS ONE :

Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe
Heavy Duty Charcoal/Wood Smoker Grill
$399.99
Item # 858344
Shipping & Handling included

Rita

Now, Rita,

Why'd you show him that Brinkmann? Sure, it's got high capacity, and can turn out great food, but it's a job to maintain even, low temps - you have to tend it every 45 minutes to an hour unless it's extensively modified.

D

Ahhhh, David. We all know what's best, don't we? Someone who opts for something less will have to live with it and its needs. Let's face it...is it the dinner or the hunting that is most important? It all comes down to priorities, right?
icon_wink.gif

Rita

David,
Once you're good with the WSM, you can pretty much leave it and it will be fine as long as the wind isn't blowing; then you would need a wind break. For set it and forget it, have you looked into a Guru or a Stoker automatic temp controller? You start getting into serious money by the time you get a WSM and a controller, but you will have the best of both worlds.

If money is the deciding factor, I think I'd go with the electric. I'd be afraid that the flame could blow out while you're out hunting on a gas unit. Given the comments here, I might try to find a better electric smoker.

Well I started with an electric from Brinkman which had a thermostate control unit I did very well with that.
Then I bought a gasser from Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain series there small version. Fell absolutely in love with it. Sold that and bought there bigger version. I have no problems of leaveing it and walking away. Then again I have 4 years of practice with it. I pretty much know where to set my knob for heat.
Looking at there newer models they are becoming to look cheaply built now. I would say if you look at one of these look it over well. To take it on the road you will need to guys to load and unload. I do everything mine from butts and briskets to whole meals in the summer time. It is rated at 120 lbs of meat even thought i have never tried that much. The most I have done is 80 lbs with plenty of room.
It all boils down to what you want to do and research it well. You cannot go wrong with WSM.

You guys are really talking me into the WSM...I'm just struggling w/ the set and forget b/c i want to go hunting, lol.

Gary, any sense as to how long a small bottle of propane lasts (size that comes on gas grills). My weber gas says 18 hours run time but it has three elements and 30,000 btus.

I am going to look at the gas unit a bass pro today, but i am sure it's a cheapo, it's only $130 reg, on sale for $90. they also have brinkman. I can't find a local store that sells the WSM so i have not seen one.

I never actually kept time but I can usually do 3 overnight cooks plus on a tank. The only drawback is the fear of running out. So I always have spare tank just in case the Grill or the Smoker runs out. In the 4 years I have used it I only ran out once.
I just looked on line at Bass Pro they have the smoker I use. The larger version has a few better features. In the bottom they have removable drip pan, larger smoke box, ( chips or small chunks work). I also have the Nu Temp thermometer thats on special. It was the best purchase I made there. I stick one in the top one on the bottom rack sometimes if Not that leaves me 2 for the meats.

i looked at the one on sale at bass pro, and agree, the larger one has a few features i like better. Unfort, the price difference was 90 vs. 150 since the small one was on sale. The differences are small, but the larger wood chip box is nice, plus, it's made of cast iron. I like the larger drip/water pan too. Just small things, but enough that i decided not to make the purchase. If the larger one was on sale too, i would have bought it.

the bass pro guy said run time is appx 28-30 hours. He cooks at bass pro for demo purposes so has lots of practice. He likes the unit (same one you have). He says just a notch under Med will maintain 250 deg all day.

I have been fiddling with the brinkman charcoal today. It's actually pretty easy. I have not had trouble getting it to maintain 250 degrees at all. Maybe it's the florida weather that makes it more manageable. Still, b/c it is charcoal, its more work than setting it up and walking away (or in my case, going hunting).

Davidd, has anyone suggested an addition of a BBQ Guru or a Stoker to a WSM to give you the hands-off option that you're looking for? Of course, you'd need a power source. See the "Automatic Temperature Controls" Forum here.

Once you know how to use the WSM it's basically a set and forget unit. However, If you want to something that's not charcoal, I've had very good luck with the Brinkman All-In-One. It's a combination gas smoker/grill, charcoal smoker/grill (I've never used it with charcoal) and turkey fryer (you need to buy a turkey pot, it doesn't come with one). It has roughly the same cooking capacity as the WSM. When smoking, it gets good smoke flavor and the temp control is fairly consistant. I made a lot of great barbecue on mine before I moved up to other cookers. I still use it on occasion when I need the extra capacity.

Bill

If your hunting and using electric I will assume you are using power from a RV or a generator. Electric cooker will be a large drw on the batterys of a RV. If your thinking a generator to get one that is QUIET you would need to go with something like a Honda. the 2000 runs about $1000.

Gas would be the option for cooking away from home. Leaving a cooker unattended in the woods is problematic, wild animals and potential for fires should cause some concern. In our area you can be fined for doing it.

Jim
PS: precooking your Q and reheating maybe a better plan.

Actually, i have a mobile home with full power, kitchen, bath, shower, ac, etc. so it is not the type of primative hunting you might be thinking of. I can run a 1500 watt unit w/ no problem, though i have decided the gas might be my best option. I am still running the charbroil charcoal unit right now. i have chicken and ribs cooking. I must admit, the unit did ok. Of course, i was home to add coals, which on the WSM, you simple adjust the vents, you don't really add coals. Either way, they both take some maintenance. I believe the gas is as close to maintenance free as they come. The electric is ok, but may struggle to get temps up if conditions aren't just right.

Back