Gas grill with no lid

Billy W

TVWBB Member
I have a gas grill that I like to use when I need to grill a couple of chicken breast, hot dogs,etc...things that don't require a long cook. The lid on my gasser doesn't fit properly anymore, and is severely flaking so I was contemplating taking the lid off completely and just using the grill uncovered while I cooked. Kinda like a hibachi grill.
What are the pros and cons of cooking this way?

Thanks

Normally you keep the lid on to preheat the cooking grates on a gasser. But if you're just doing quick cooks just watch out for flareups and keep a squirt/spray bottle of water or whatever to tame the flames.

Tim

I always have my spray bottle handy. For some reason my grill loves to flare up. It caught fire so bad p e time it scared the crap outta me. Hence why I switched to charcoal. It was an unbelievable fire. The entire grill was in flames, it was scary lol but at the same it was the best thing that ever happened. It converted me to charcoal.

Pro: you can always see what you are cooking.
Con: no way to stop flare ups or keep stuff from getting in your grill.

Might be time to hit up Craigs or start looking for end of season deals.

I've always had trouble with flare ups on gas grills. That's part of why (I think) they're more of a pain than charcoal. My dad's Weber gas grill is the best I've used, but it's still harder than a good charcoal grill.

I've cooked on a top-less grill a couple times - it was made that way - and I've been to a couple of top-less bars - that's a story for another topic. One hint, keep some aluminum hotel pans close by and use them upside down over your food to help speed up your cooking times. No reason you couldn't use it that way.

But like somebody else said - some good deals on CL and some good end of the season close outs on some good Webers. I picked up a nice stainless steel Vermont Castings 5 burner with a side burner a while back for $125 - it originally was about $600 - and probably overpaid.

Pat

Back