Gas Grill Question

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Still in the hunt for getting another gas grill. No rush no anything but if I can find something at the right price I will grab it. I passed on the Q2200 we had at work, it just didn't seem like it was going to do what I wanted it to.......I have had full size gas grills in the past and learned to do some fancy cooks. I also don't want to grab a poor model of Weber grill....I know some are better than others.
I have no idea to be honest which models were rust buckets and which models are the sought after models.
I would appreciate a bit of advice if possible. What to avoid and what is the best is what I am looking for.
I found a Silver B apparently as it is advertised anyways. Pics below.
Looks to be in good shape, it says new burners, bars and igniter.
It is natural gas but I would think I could convert it to propane or back to propane right?
Not sure what this thing would be worth.....here in Ontario something could go for sale at $100 but it would only list for $60 in the US as an example.
So US pricing ideas are fine, I can figure out the difference.
Thanks in advance.

1657727057400.png

1657727077341.png

Last edited:
The grill in the photos looks great and the price is very fair, especially with new parts. Check inside the cabinet to see if the bottom is rusted out.

In used, any grill model could be a rust bucket, and any grill could be fairly pristine. It all depends on its life story. You have to evaluate each grill on a case-by-case basis.

Changing gas type is not as easy as one might think. Look at the thread Chris was kind enough to put together. Bottom line unless you're VERY experienced on how to work with gas and gas flow, the only truly effective and safe way is with a new manifold made for the gas type you want

That looks like a good grill , like the blue top I have seen these 2004 -2005 Weber Silver B grills sell for between 150-200+ CAD. on FB marketplace . Just make sure the cabinet is not rusted inside , if they just put in new burners , new flavorizer bars and igniter that amounts to another 40+60 stainless bars +20 =$120 CAD approx. plus it has a Weber light on the handle . What I like about these grills is they are very versatile with temps with highs to 550-600 and easily controlled for low temp cooks and great for rotisserie cooking , once you set the lower temp you want to achieve on these grills its just like having cruise control .You may want to consider finding a propane model like this and avoid having to do a conversion , plus the cost of a propane manifold $ .

Last edited:
I am working on basically the same grill right now except that it does not have the lower cabinet and I will be replacing the condiment rack with a right side flip up table. I paid probably less than $25 for mine. Maybe free....I cannot remember.
If you want the best grill in that category, you want a Genesis Platinum in the 2004-2005 year range. It will have a stainless steel lid and frame. It will have a gray (carbon steel) cabinet, which will likely be rusted out like the blue one above probably is. You can remove that and put in a standard wire bottom rack. The grill will be basically a "forever" grill. They are tough to find however. But that is the holy grail of the Silver/Gold/Platinum series.

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).JPG

Thanks for the tips......
I would like to find a propane model ideally......
I could also plumb in gas, I know a guy who does this for a living, would be a case of beer or something. Which is also waaaaay more up here pic below is just bud in large size bottle packages. I don't like bud but it is standard price.
This one I posted in first post is for sale for $175 CAD..........
I wasn't trying to mislead when I said if something sells for 100 here it would sell for 60 US. I was just saying that our crap is much more expensive.

So a platinum is the best vintage grill......

Then how does is go, gold is next best then Silver C then B then A?

And I have to inspect each one individually as anyone of them can be rusted out, there is no perfectly made grill that wont rust out.....got it.

1657742469058.png

I'm going to post several replies so I don't confuse myself.

Platinum can mean different things based on different years. a 1998 Genesis Platinum 2000 is nearly identical to a standard 2000 except for some trim on the lid.

The Platinum Bruce posted has an all stainless steel cart. Some have completely different side tables and parts are hard to find but still have steel carts. I haven't seen enough to sort them out.

Silver B Silver C Gold B Gold C with and without enclosed cabinets.

Silvers are enamel lids.
Golds have stainless steel lids, and have an inner liner that I've read rusts, but I've not seen one first hand rusted, only in pics and usually where people also talk about rain and snow.

Silver B is smaller like the blue one above.
Silver C has an extended cart, and a side burner.

Gold B has an extended cart, with an additional side table on the right hand side and with a right hand flip up table.
Gold C has an extended cart, with an a side burner on the right hand side and with a right hand flip up table.

Some Silver Bs and Silver Cs have a right side flip up table in addition to the one on the left.
Some Silver Bs have a plastic condiment tray in front of the control panel like the blue one in your first post.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan....theses are great tips and will give me some faith when I am looking to know what I am looking at.
Stainless sounds like the best option but I would guess ALL these silvers and golds would be a good option.
Don't want to refurb but I think I could do it without too many issues.
Thanks again.......everyone, I will pass on this gas grill I think, just want to find propane.
Lots of info on these over the years, hard to know all of it I am sure.

Bruce has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. Almost every day I read something new about these.

Until I collected a few and started noticing the small differences I thought they were mostly the same.

I thought I read threads before with people saying things like....
" no way I would ever own one of those rust buckets, they rust out and no parts available "
Might just be one specific model, I just don't want to buy something like that......I will keep my eyes open on the golds, silvers and the platinum's.

Thanks again.......everyone, I will pass on this gas grill I think, just want to find propane.

It is very little work to swap the NG manifold for LP, and finding a silver B propane manifold should not be hard.

Blue lids seem to be hard to find. If you like the look and if it is in good shape and the price is right...

You shouldn't say things like that Dan.....
I'm the kind of guy that you only have to ask 2 times.....
It's like.... " wanna stick around for a beer "
I'm like," nah....I should keep going things to do "
Then you are like " are you sure, got a dozen here on ice.... "
SOLD. Miller time.

Natural gas is definitely the way to go. I went NG a long time ago and am soooooooooooooo happy I did. Even had a sealed direct vent remote control gas fireplace installed instead of the PIA woodburner

Back