Gas Grill on craigs list

Hi Kris,
$110 is not a "bad" price, but it's not a steal either. Unless you feel you have to have it now, I'd wait a bit and watch how long the posting runs, it's only been a few days for this posting, but he originally posted on 9/7 stating that they were moving soon. Usually if stays up with little or no response the price comes down. Or at least the chances of negotiating the price down increases.
TBS There are better deals out there, It just depends on how far your willing to travel and how much your willing to spend.
If you willing to put the $10 difference in your gas tank and invest the time, this is a lot better deal. But I should note, I like the older Webers more. Something about the wood I guess.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/for/1955822161.html

From the pics, it appears to be in decent shape. But pictures can be deceiving.

I recently paid about the same for a somewhat older model that was in extraordinarily good condition.

If it's close to where you live, I would attempy to set-up an appointment to see the grill, and have cash in hand. (Cash gives you leverage.) You need to be able to "see past" some cooking gunk - if it is not rusted or chipped-up, it should clean-up very nicely. Be sure to pull the grates and flavorizer bars, to see if the burners are in good shape.

If everything looks good, I would be ready to pay close to what the seller wants. Maybe offer a bit lower, but don't insult the seller's intelligence.

Even a "cheapo" 3-burner grill would cost more, and this is a Weber - you can bet that it's SOLID, will last, and cooks well.

I hear so many good things about weber grills. I used to own cheapo STAINLESS COMMERCIAL grills and they were awful.
On another forum I was told if you buy a weber, prepare to be BORED. They are reliable, heat evenly, no need to move food around finding that sweet spot, and so on. I thought that was a hilarious selling point. Prepare to be bored of its efficiency. I am thinking I can sell my Q100 and almost break even.

Got one almost identical from Craigslist about 1.5 yrs ago. It's been reliable. Replaced the flavorizers and the grates w/ heavy duty ones from the guy in San Carlos who advertises on craigslist (and ebay). The replacement parts were stainless steel and still look good.

One complaint is that what appears to be paint on the inside of the hood is flaking off. No, it's not accumulated gunk (e.g. carbon residue). I occasionally remove the hood and scrape it w/ a sanding wheel to clean it. I expect all the paint to be gone in a couple more years of use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kris lewis:
I am thinking I can sell my Q100 and almost break even. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go look at it with cash in hand. Start knit-picking (given it's age, i'm sure there's some rust or worn parts) and make an offer.

The only way you'll ever get a Weber for less is on another Craigslist deal (and if this one is in good shape, it's a fair price). In the whole grand scheme of things, you're talking $25 or so, and that's a small price to pay to get something you want and will use for a long time.

Then, as you stated, sell your gasser for $100.

Kris,

I'm on my second Genesis rebuild. My first was a 2004 Silver B, much like the one you're looking at. My current project is a 2005 Gold B. From my experience, it's pretty pricey to replace the guts on these grills. You're looking at $50-70 for grates. You can get the flavorizer bars from the eBay guy for a little over $40. (I think he's rcplanebuyer) If it needs new burners, you're looking at another $40 there. Both of the Genesis I've fixed also needed new warming racks and pull out grease pans, but those aren't a must to get it functional.

Keep these things in mind when you're negotiating. Especially if you're going to have to go out and drop $50 on a new LP tank if you don't already have one. Weber customer service is great helping you find the parts you need, but the $ can add up fast.

Good luck!

I have an Lp tank already. It is connected to my Q100. Looks like it will never need a refill for this thing. I am in no hurry, but there is just something nice about having a weber gas grill that would rarely be used on my patio(ever since I got my charcoal).
kris

I personally wouldn't pay over $75. For his asking price, he should be throwing in an empty tank and it should be in 100% complete working condition, with serviceable flavorizer bars, grates, and working starter.

Like Jered C. said, keep the replacement parts' prices in mind when you are shopping for a used grill. You can re-season those grates, but if they're in that kind of shape the flavorizers are probably shot.

Keep looking - your ship will come in. You may have to wait till around Christmas time or in the spring, when people get new grills.

I'd say it's a fair price. Burners last a decade on those (SS) - likely the crossover tube goes first = $6. Flavorizer bars (cheap ones) are $30 - they go fast. Can't tell which grates he has, if by some miracle he has the porcelain enameled cast iron they'll last forever, regular porcelain enameled are $35 (SS better are $50). Ignitor? who cares, last quite some time but they're $13.

Warming rack looks in good condition, might be an indicator. Even with everything but a manifold you're @ $200...........try getting anything but a POS big box grill for that. Check, see what needs replacing.

he said he might have it sold, but would come down no lower than 100. I told him that I would take my tank to test it out. I am really thinking I want a weber grill for the quick meals(fish, burgers,steaks) when i do not have as much time to light charcoal.

Are there any comparisons between the older models and the newer ones. Are the older ones going to be better than the newer cheap POS at the store?

Can't comment on the new webers, they seem nice but in a trip to Lowes today I checked the others - that Silver B is better than anything but other Webers. When working correctly they are superb grills. Don't forget to check the cart - that can be a deal breaker.............after a decade outside w/o a cover mine still works as new (& shows no signs of rust on the cart). Heck my ignitor lasted 7 years & fired on the first time 95% of the time (and you know how fragile they tend to be on other grills - lol)

It's just a good grill that will last a long time with little or no care.

Thanks Bailey. Having owned several cheap units, brinkman, kenmore, etc... I think it is time I stepped up to a real grill. Plus it looks nice to look in the backyard and all i see are webers.
kris

Here's mine - pay no attention to the bad photography, lid looks as new. Outside uncovered for 10 years, used 5 time (or more) a week year round. And shamefully I clean it about twice a year
icon_eek.gif

weber-1.jpg

You know, I just have to get one now. The left side is just a work station right? I could use a work station.

Are the grates stainless or ceramic coated cast iron? What is better? I have having a PITA with the cast iron grate on my Q100 and zero issues with the zinc coated grate on the weber kettle.

Yep, flip up/down table.

There are several types of grates, no such which are still made -

Plain cast iron - mine came with them, didn't like them required too much care

Enameled cast iron - were available @ HD, better than cast iron but aren't the easiest to clean & require care (brass, chipping, etc)

Enameled steel - cheapest, same as cast iron but much cheaper, won't last too long

Stainless - expensive but arguably the best, easy to clean & maintain

Aftermarket stainless - very expensive but should last forever.

I have the enameled cast iron, they are very good & have lasted several years with a problem. I have to use a brass brush (scratching) and it takes some effort to clean (easy off, soak, scrub) monthly. They retain heat very well & give nice grill marks. Overall I give them a A-

The grill owner just emailed me back and the last guy backed out. Sounds like 100.00 and its mine.

Doesn't come with a tank, but I have one so I am not worried.
IMG_5362.JPG

I asked for a pic of the inside just to see if rust would be an issue. Around here in Cali, rust usually is never an issue but just in case. What do you think? Going to possibly pick it up this weekend. I think its worth the 100 to me since I WANT IT. They will show me it works and lights up before I buy.

Weber Silver B is the model. I am looking into it all right now.

What do you all think?

The warming rack looks fine & those are enameled steel grates. Given the condition of the warming rack I'd say rust isn't too much of an issue - they rust out pretty fast (& that one just looks dirty - the bars seem full size).

Hard to tell by they may get by with a good cleaning. Spray w/ easy off & put them in a garbage bag overnight - go from there. Only issue is to make certain you don't chip them (or if they already are chipped). Appears like the flavorizer bars are shot, cheap fix - best are the heavy duty on ebay ($50ish shipped). Next to check are the burners, especially the crossover tube.

Box & lid are virtually indestructible.........of what I can see the cart looks fine. Tables are indestructible & they're pretty cheap.

Is it worth it? IMHO - heck yeah. Worst cast even replacing the burners, grates, and flavorizers you're still in for less than $250 - try to find a grill that good for $250............and it should last a LONG time with all those replacements (cost to own might be around $25/year = cheap)

Back