Galvanized fence parts in the grill

DaveLong

TVWBB Member
Hi all,
My strategy is simple just put two 12" ceramic unglazed tiles top of the warming rack and two 12" down the bottom and turn to an pizza oven. The only problem is not much space in between. To increase the space, I have few galvanized fence tension bars (.3" - .5") laying around. My thought would be bend the 2 ends down 90° to support the tiles above. Can some tell me if the galvanized is safe in the grill? The other option is try to find .5"-2" wide and 26" long stainless steel part.

ive heard a lot of back and forth about using galvy in a fire. some folks say never never and others say fumes only come from it in extreme heat. I am no scientist , but I err on the side of caution and steer clear. you can use your best judgement.

Find a metal/welding shop in your area and they can cut (or fabricate) a piece of stainless steel in the dimensions you listed. May be expensive up front, depending on if they have to do a simple cut or two from an existing larger piece; or if they have to fabricate from smaller pieces (increasing labor - i.e. more $$$).

In either case it'll be a one-time expense that you'll enjoy for years to come, and you would avoid any possible future issues - great or small - that could arise from exposing your food to heated galvanized.

The purchased another warming rack and put next to the original warming rack above the grate. This is easy and cheap $13 solution . I thought pass along for those that want to have an oven concept to cook pizza.

Lots of garbage can smokers out there, with most of the folks that use em still breathin. Famous Dave started that way.

I made a kettle pizza oven knock off out of steel flashing, very shiny steel not the dull galvanized finish. Is this safe to use, not real sure after this thread. Thanks.

You could always paint it with high heat paint, the same as we use on the Smokey Joe Mini smokers.
I made a kettle pizza oven knock off out of steel flashing, very shiny steel not the dull galvanized finish. Is this safe to use, not real sure after this thread. Thanks.

If it's shiny then I would bet it's SS and you're good to go. And as far as small pieces of galv or zinc plated (whatever), throw them in a bed of hot coals and you will burn off any off gasses that you would get from regular BBQ temps.

Edit: Some Flat Stock for duct-work and metal studs can be shiny and that's usually galvanized so I would do a couple of really hot burn-offs first with out any pies on there.

Tim

Last edited:
I seen add an additional rack to their WSM by setting empty & cleaned beer / vegetable cans in between the racks. Would that work?

Back