FYI - East Coast Tri-Tip's!

Originally posted by Rick Angiel:
Gary,

What grocery store are you referring to? I have seen tri-tip at Publix once, but that is about it.

Rick

Rick,

That was at a publix here in Orlando.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill's too many choices!
Gary

As I posted previously the Publix near me routinely has whole tri-tips and steaks for sale. Whole price is 5.99/lb and steaks are about .50/lb more.

The meat manager just told me that anyone living near a Publix should be able to get them as they are available in the Publix system. He also sez they are growing in popularity.

It just so happened, that I needed to make a run to the supermarket. As I am passing the meat dept, what just happens to be on display??? Again, one of the dept employees happen to be standing right there. I asked if this cut was readily available to publix, and he stated, (Kevin, you will like this) we remove them from the list because they are slow movers. Also, stating that they still come through the store regularly, we just don't diplay them.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Those of you with a publix supermarket, you should be able to find Tri-tip.

Hope this helps.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Originally posted by K Kruger:
K-- I drive 175,000 miles a year so I get around.
Kevin, I just had an epiphany on your behalf. Equip your trailer with refrigeration and start a full time tri tip distribution business. You've got a customer in me. That's all you need, right?
icon_smile.gif

LOL!! I sure got a kick out of that! But can you imagine how much I'd have to charge?!$$$ At this moment in my small frisge I have 2 tris (purchased in Vegas) and 6 lamb loins--try finding those(!) for a 3-day cook I'm booked on for this weekend in Ga. But if I go to Conn from there I'll fill my fridge for you. My truck payment is $2200/month, fuel $1500/week...hmmm.
icon_smile.gif

Gary--Typical. And they don't really know what it is so they don't know how to sell it to their customers, what to tell customers to do with it. No wonder they're 'slow movers'. We in Fla should rise up and continue to demand tri-tips! Tri-tip for all!

and the west indeed gets the lion's share of tri-tips.

And that's the way it should be!
icon_smile.gif
You east coast people, you get everything. For example, watch the weather channel. The forecasters really couldn't care less about CA, OR, or WA. They usually just stand right in front of it. It could be raining hot coals here and they'd just brush it off to talk about the precious eastern seaboard or I-95. And don't get me started on ESPN...ever try to watch a PAC-10 football/basketball game on ESPN? You won't, because to them the PAC 10 doesn't exist.

Nobody cares about us out here. Just let us have our tri tips and leave us alone.
icon_razz.gif

I get a side of beef every year from someone I work with. Last year after putting on some miles on my WSM I figured out I need some cuts different than I had been getting. One was getting the brisket. Another was getting the whole tenderloin and rib roasts instead of ribeyes. The last was the tri tip. I went to the site that had the pics and details of the cut. I printed it out and went to the butcher shop about a week before my steer arrived there. I tried to talk to the butcher directly but was unsuccessful. The lady at the desk said somone else had requested that cut before and that it was in the meat that I would pick up.

Well when I picked up my meat. I got the brisket er brisket flat. I guess I don't want the whole brisket. I got the tenderloin and rib roasts without problem but never did find a tri tip in the lot. I was really aggervated that they wouldn't even look at the papers I printed out. Oh well. The guy I am buying the steers off of is getting old and cutting back on how many cows he raises. It is only a matter of time before he tells me no more. Not to mention since finding this site and the wsm I don't seem to cook as much out of the freezer and now the wife is working full time I may end up cutting out the side of beef before the farmer cuts me off. The only thing sad about that situation is where am I going to buy ground beef. I have been buying from him for over 15 years now and the ground beef is always awesome. Occasionally my wife will slide in some store bought beef when we would run out and I would give her a hard time about it. She says you can't tell the difference. Indeed I can and I am sure you folks out there can also.

I was in the Atlanta area last week visiting daughters and grand kids. Found a 3 1/2 pound tri tip at Trader Joe's and grilled it for dinner one night. Even though I had to use an old, crappy grill (belongs to my son-in law), it turned out great. Seasoned it well with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic (lots of garlic). Cooked to medium rare and the grandkids devoured it. I almost ended up without any left for me. I had to grab some at the last minute! Also did two pork loins but they did not go as fast. Those kids (6 of them) said they always want a tri tip when I visit. Nice.

BTW, my son-in-law does not believe in cleaning his grill - even with a grill brush. He says that all the stuff on the grill is "seasoning". At least it gets heated up when the coals get hot, but he would NOT let me hit it with a brush or scrape it in any way. Oh well, we survived.

Oh - forgot to say that I put two pieces of pecan on the coals for added flavor. I carry smoke wood with me in my car on every trip. Never know when I will need some.

Ray

Originally posted by Ray Crick:
I carry smoke wood with me in my car on every trip. Never know when I will need some.

Ray
Wow. I thought I was good because I had my golf clubs in my car at all times. Smoke wood... that's a great idea!

About not cleaning the grill... when SIL is not looking, brush off a bunch of the crusty bits and, just before serving his food, sprinkle it all over his meal. Tell him it's "seasoned" with his own special recipe. That ought to cure him.
icon_smile.gif

My truck payment is $2200/month, fuel $1500/week...hmmm.
icon_smile.gif
Hmmm... since I'm your only customer, let's calculate that. I see it is around $8200/month in overhead. Assuming you'd deliver about 10 tri tips, totalling about 25 pounds... I estimate that to be about $328 per pound for tri tip. Hmmm... OK, maybe I'll look for another distributor....
icon_smile.gif
thankfully TJs is close by.

Regardless, give me a shout next time you go on by...

Adam Clyde,

I keep 4 0r 5 pieces of apple and another 4 or 5 pieces on pecan in Ziploc freezer bags in my trunk. Someone on this board (Rita?) recently said that they had termites in their car from smoke wood, but keeping it in the baggies seems to do the trick for me.

Also - I thought Kobe steaks were expensive but those Kruger steaks would be the most expensive in the world!

Ray

Trader Joe's website now shows 2 stores 'coming soon' to Charlotte, NC.
Cool breeze for the folks below. Me have a Wegman's coming to Harrisburg, PA and i'm guessing a TJ's won't be far behind.

Originally posted by Sean Ruff:
Harris Teeter in Northern Virgina regularly carries tri-tip. Harris Teeter has locationsin Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
I've picked them up at Sam's Club in Woodbridge, VA as well. They don't always have them though.

Back