Furnace Cement on old WSM 18?

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
So I picked up a 20 year old WSM 18 for $20 yesterday. After cleaned it all up today I noticed some rust in the bottom (water had been sitting) and found a small hole had rusted through. The only thing that hits that area is coal ash, and I was thinking of putting a layer of furnace cement in the bottom to prevent further rust and restore it. Opinions and comments welcome.

A 20 year old WSM for 20 bucks, you can’t go wrong trying. Only thing I would do is make sure you wait long enough to let any chemical smell to gas off before cooking on it.

A 20 year old WSM for 20 bucks, you can’t go wrong trying. Only thing I would do is make sure you wait long enough to let any chemical smell to gas off before cooking on it.
Thanks. I was thinking of heating with a torch to cure it. The stuff is black so that's a bonus.

So I picked up a 20 year old WSM 18 for $20 yesterday. After cleaned it all up today I noticed some rust in the bottom (water had been sitting) and found a small hole had rusted through. The only thing that hits that area is coal ash, and I was thinking of putting a layer of furnace cement in the bottom to prevent further rust and restore it. Opinions and comments welcome.
Clean it with some Acetone then fill the hole both sides with JB Weld. The original 2 part mix good to 500 degrees never gonna get that hot down there.

Piece of tape underneath fill the hole on the top wait an hour pull the tape off let cure for 24 hours then fill the bottom should be good to go.

Last edited:

Back