funky smelling Brisket!!

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
st week I bought tow big packer trim briskets from sams club. I had the chouce between miller and excel for brands, I picked the Excel

i took one out and rubbed it down and bagged it in a bit 2 gallon bag and put it in the fridge

When I opened the cryovac onthe second package it had a distinctly unpleasant odiferous cow smell (kind of like the barns at the state fair on a hot day)

Is this some kind of bacteria and need I be concerned if this happens in the future?

We cooked both Briskets and despite my best effforts to screw them up they turned out pretty good.

Any thoughts on what stunk up the kitchen here??

Hey Tom,

Its not uncommon to have a little smell when opening the cyovac. Rinse that hunk of meat real good, get rid of the package and take another good wiff. Most of that smell should dissapate. I've never had one where that didn't work. If it still smelled funky, I'd have second thoughts about cooking it.

My guess is that you were right. Bacteria were behind the odor. It's a surface thang and the high temps during the cook killed the bacteria. Washing should also reduce the amount of bacteria, but doesn't eliminate the bacteria.
Loren

the vinegar wash idea would have been a good thought!! I think i've seen that one before but just wasn't thinking about it.

Back