fuel and water overnight

John Sampson

TVWBB Member
more questions, on lighting the fuel bowl is it halfway unlit coal then half woodchunks then fill with lit coal and rest wood chuncks or all unlit and top off with lit coal, also where to keep vents during all this and will fuel and water last all night??

john - not sure I understand exactly... are you asking if you should layer charcoal with wood chunks? I think that would be WAY too much smoke. If you are doing a long, using the minion method, I would fill the charcoal ring as full as you can possibly get it, burying about 4 wood chunks throughout the charcoal. Then, you light MM way, you put another 3-4 wood chunks on top so they come in contact with the lit coals, so they start generating smoke right away. Depending on the kind of meat you are smoking and the type of smoke wood you are using you definitely don't want to over do it.

Regarding the water pan... if you have the brinkman and fill it full with water, it will definitely last overnight.

I agree with adamclyde. Fill the charcoal ring with unlit coals, having tucked in a few pieces of smokewood so you'll get some smoke throughout your cook, and definitely with one piece on top where you are going to dump your chimney of 8 or 10 lit coals (you don't need many more lit coals than that except maybe in the dead of winter).

Start with your vents wide open (the top vent ALWAYS---you won't mess with that one)--so all three at the bottom should be open. Then you monitor the temps as they quickly start to climb over the next half hour or so, and when it's on its way to your desired pit temp (say 225 if you're doing pork butts) you start closing the bottom 3 vents somewhat. Maybe halfway. Maybe 2/3 of the way. Maybe you close 2 of them entirely and then only use 1 vent to control the whole cook (some of us prefer that---easier to manage!).

If you are keeping your temps low, your fuel should definitely last thru the night. If you are using the Brinkmann charcoal pan as your water pan (twice as big as the one that comes with the WSM) then your water will last, too. If not, there's still a chance your water will last, if you really keep your cook low and slow. But you might need to add some, so have a long necked something standing by. Watering can, wine bottle, or I use a dedicated gas can that has been painted blue so I don't grab the wrong one in the middle of the night and run into trouble...!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I use a dedicated gas can that has been painted blue so I don't grab the wrong one in the middle of the night and run into trouble...! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OUCH! That would wake you up! The people who live beside you would REALLY love you then. First that dang beeping Guru all night, then the Fire department coming over. They would run you out of town lol.

I have only done about a half dozen over-nighters, but I have never had problems with the standard water pan going dry. Just fill 'er up before you hit the sack.

Back