Frying pan company sued for claiming temperatures that rival the Sun

Consumers can be dangerous. Manufacturer's and marketers better choose their claims carefully or be prepared for costly legal battles brought on by people like Patricia Brown.

It won’t go anywhere. It’s a frivolous lawsuit and that lady isn’t out anything. Tossed by the first judge if it even gets there. What a bunch of crap

Just remember the million dollar lawsuit won against Michy D's for the burn someone got from the coffee being too hot.
You should read a bit about that case. McDonald's deserved every bit of paying out the punitive damages.

After I left the cops, I was a risk manager for a large international company. Lawsuits were common. Some silly, some legitimate.
It boils down to actual damages and % of liability.

You should read a bit about that case. McDonald's deserved every bit of paying out the punitive damages.

After I left the cops, I was a risk manager for a large international company. Lawsuits were common. Some silly, some legitimate.
I did read about it, but still think McD's got screwed over. I mean what dummy sticks a cup of hot beverage (ANY hot beverage) between their legs?

Interesting. I am surprised the car company did not get sued because the cars back then lacked cup holders.

I did read about it, but still think McD's got screwed over. I mean what dummy sticks a cup of hot beverage (ANY hot beverage) between their legs?
It’d be an easy safe bet that most folks, yourself included, have done exactly that. Where’s that book in Vegas, I wanna retire.

Dummy? Hardly

that was an interesting read.

I didn’t know that much about the details of that case besides the sensationalist headlines.

It’d be an easy safe bet that most folks, yourself included, have done exactly that. Where’s that book in Vegas, I wanna retire.

Dummy? Hardly
Not this kid. Have never once ever done something like that (at least with a hot drink)

She asked for $11,000 in proven medical costs. McDonald's countered with $800. She sued and a jury of 12 people was convinced that McDonald's was directly responsible, knew about the problem and did zero to correct it and then doesn't seize the opportunity to settle for medical costs only??
She's not the dummy there, McDonald's corporate executives and their counsel were.

IDK, what part of HOT is hard to understand? Yeah, maybe MickyD should have gone the cheaper route, but I followed that whole thing. She was still a dummy for sticking a caup of hot liquid between her legs and worse removing the lid.
But, sadly this is what is becoming the norm here. Someone does something irresponsible or even downright stupid and they expect someone else to pay them for it.
Yesterday, I was carving that rack of lamb we had. And I was using one of those new incredibly sharp knives I just got from Amazon. I was distracted and I jammed the knife into my left index finger promptly making some decent bleeding.
Using this McD's logic I should be able to sue Amazon, or the seller of the knives for not making them too dull to cut my finger. (and yes I really did cut my finger last night just as described).
Same situation. Did something dumb/distracted when I should not have been. Knowing FULL WELL these are incredibly sharp. One of the reasons I bought them. It's all the same.

IDK, what part of HOT is hard to understand? Yeah, maybe MickyD should have gone the cheaper route, but I followed that whole thing. She was still a dummy for sticking a caup of hot liquid between her legs and worse removing the lid.
But, sadly this is what is becoming the norm here. Someone does something irresponsible or even downright stupid and they expect someone else to pay them for it.
Yesterday, I was carving that rack of lamb we had. And I was using one of those new incredibly sharp knives I just got from Amazon. I was distracted and I jammed the knife into my left index finger promptly making some decent bleeding.
Using this McD's logic I should be able to sue Amazon, or the seller of the knives for not making them too dull to cut my finger. (and yes I really did cut my finger last night just as described).
Same situation. Did something dumb/distracted when I should not have been. Knowing FULL WELL these are incredibly sharp. One of the reasons I bought them. It's all the same.
Your logic is off here and it doesn't equate to the same theory of liability that applies to the McDonald's case. There are several: 1. Failure to warn.
2. Defective design. 3. Foreseeable misuse
In the McDonald's case, failure to warn is the applicable one which is why you now see warnings on coffee cups regarding hot content. Testimony and evidence showed that McDonald's knew the coffee was being brewed and served excessively hot. They made no effort to correct that and took no steps to warn accordingly.
Knives by there very existence are presumed to be sharp...their intended use is to cut things. It's stated in the listing that they're sharp and they often include or suggest the purchase of a sharpener or steel to keep them that way.
The two cases...excessively hot coffee and Amazon knives are not remotely legally similar.

Other examples of theories of liability would be...the Chevrolet Corvair with the gas tank on the front left part of the car...almost any form of collision results in an explosion and fire=Defective design

The old lifting a running lawnmower up...=Foreseeable misuse

I have that pot and pan set. For the price it's not bad.
What's the lawsuit for, false advertising? Did any one get hurt?

Back