Frozen green chile source?

Mark D

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

Since my trip to southern CO this summer, I've been jonesin' for anything cooked with green chile. Pizza with green chiles, chicken and artichokes? Oh yeah! Huevos rancheros with green pork chili? Sign me up!

Being from the northeast, I'm just now coming to the realization that fresh chile season isn't year round and I may already be too late, but I've found a couple of places online that sell frozen whole roasted green chiles. But being a nervous nelly, I'm hesitant to buy online with no prior knowledge of the vendor. Does anyone here have a recommendation for someone they've used in the past and been happy with?

Thanks,
Mark

You can't just buy the green chillies from a local supermarket or specialty vendor like a co op? Even in MA I'd think you'd be able to find them canned or even fresh.

Hit the Hispanic markets. I never fail to find plenty regardless of where in the country I'm shopping.

To answer your question, I know many people who buy frozen on line and have never heard anyone complain no matter which source they used.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark D:
Does anyone here have a recommendation for someone they've used in the past and been happy with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mark, Been using this place for many years. Don't forget to pick up some Chimayo Chili powder also.
icon_wink.gif
Da Gift Basket

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'll check out the local markets and see what I can find. I was kind of under the impression that the New Mexico green chiles were the best, but weren't widely available and I was going to have to mail order. But if I can find them locally and save the crazy shipping charges, then yay.

Bryan I'll keep Da Gift Basket in mind too. Been using Sweet Freedom Farm and very happy with them, but it's always good to have another source.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark D:
Bryan I'll keep Da Gift Basket in mind too. Been using Sweet Freedom Farm and very happy with them, but it's always good to have another source. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I also use sweet freedom for dried, along with Da Gift Basket. But you were asking for fresh frozen that's why I posted Da Gift Basket link for you. They have top notch everything from dried, to fresh, to fresh frozen green chilis. You can't get fresh frozen at Sweet Freedom but you can at Da Gift Basket.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I also use sweet freedom for dried, along with Da Gift Basket. But you were asking for fresh frozen that's why I posted Da Gift Basket link for you. They have top notch everything from dried, to fresh, to fresh frozen green chilis. You can't get fresh frozen at Sweet Freedom but you can at Da Gift Basket.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, sorry, I did see the fresh frozen as well, and it's the best price I've seen.

Got a little sticker shock though when I saw the shipping was looking like $35-65 to get it here still frozen. I'm sure it is the same story elsewhere, but that's just hard to swallow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, sorry, I did see the fresh frozen as well, and it's the best price I've seen.

Got a little sticker shock though when I saw the shipping was looking like $35-65 to get it here still frozen. I'm sure it is the same story elsewhere, but that's just hard to swallow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well yes that's the price you pay to have it arrive to you still frozen. IIRC they 2-3 day them to you depending on where you live. I had 3 burlap bags filled with fresh Hatch Chilis delivered to me several years ago. I roasted them and vac sealed them myself. Very high quality peppers from them. It all boils down to how bad you want them and are you willing to pay for them.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back