frozen butt - 1 year old

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
I found a frozen butt in my freezer with a date from 1 year ago. It is a dedicated no defrost chest freezer. Thoughts on this butt still being ok? I would think so but looking for experience here.

thx

It should be just fine. Frost-free freezers do cycle and that can cause quality problems but this isn't usually that noticeable, if at all, on cuts like butts. One notices it more on finer-grained meats and fish.

Was it in a cryovac pack? If so all is good. If not, does it look freezer burned? Is the inside of the package full of frosty ice? If it looks good (not freezer burned or freeze dried), smoke it up. I would smoke a fresh butt with it just to make sure you have something edible to show for your efforts.

Cheers

it is not cryovac....freezer bag.

a little ice on one side, not much.

I will start to thaw it and see how much ice there is and make a judgment call. I am expecting it to be OK.

Lou has a great idea with cooking an extra.

I agree with Clark, if Keven says it's okay, I wouldn't be worried about it. I think since it's not in crovac, you might have a quality issue, but not a health issue. I'd cut off anything that looked freezer burned.

Back