Friday night butts

Shiloh

TVWBB Member
Well it is 10:15pm here in San Diego on Friday night. I just put two Costco boneless butts on with some pecan and mesquite and home made rub. Temps are still a little on the low side but doing minion method and should come back up. Total was about 15.5 pounds. I am hoping that they are ready to take off the WSM by noon or 1pm tomorrow. At least by 3pm. That would be 17 hours though so I am not thinking they will take that long. I made the rub from brown sugar, sea salt, chili powder, cayenne, black pepper, granulated garlic, dry mustard, and a little bit of cinnamon (that is my secret ingredient). Usually turns out real good. I slathered in yellow mustard this time for the first time. I'll keep you posted but if you have any comments I am all ears. This is my fifth cook.

I'm an hour in, lid temp is pegged at 225, still quite a bit of white smoke, I have the vents at about 40% open. I think I am going to try to kick it up to about 250 but the temp is responding really well to adjustments.

Ok, 2am here, temp is holding steady at 240 lid. Starting to smell real nice now, you can smell the fat rendering out. I added two small pieces of pecan. Probably about time for a small nap.

Nice...on my 2nd smoke ever and was pegged at just shy of 230* lid temp when I called it quits at 1:30 and on wake up I was at 200*
icon_frown.gif
My vents were closed (conseravtive route with this being first time MM). Now working my way back up to 240 or so. 2 bone-in Butts (6.5 lb each)rubbed w/ Basic BBQ Rub by Raichlen and hickory. Shooting to pull them around 3 p.m. (16 hours.) Hope it goes well.

Hi shiloh,
I'm from San Diego also. I was just wondering where you are getting your wood from? I normally go to escondido to a spot called Olson firewood but if there is something closer to Chula Vista, I would like to know.

Thanks

I just pulled two butts off as well.

Got in from Vegas late yesterday afternoon and discovered I had a dinner for 11 for this evening. Dashed to the store while trying to formulate a plan and I think I've got a good one going. It'll be a 5-courser plus dessert (I hope).

The butts I nabbed were on the small side, both bone-in, 5.6 and 5.8 lbs. Salted first, then rubbed with a mix of (in order of volume) thyme, onion, sage, marjoram, extra hot NM chile, sugar, coriander, sumac, garlic, green, white and black ground peppercorns, and cinnamon. Stretched it slightly with some Szeged paprika.

They're resting now in the microwave. Haven't yet thought up a sauce...

It is 9am here now, last check was at 6 am and checked the thermo, 250, spot on and still going strong, when I checked just now at 9 I am down to about 230 so I tapped the leg of the WSM with my flip flop, hopefully that will get it back up. Now I am just trying to decide whether or not to flip/rotate and spray with apple juice. Last time I just let them go and they were great. I try not to open the WSM unless I have to. Ariel, the mesquite I just got from the Home Depot but the pecan I got by putting an ad on the wanted section of Craig's List. I put an add on for any fruit or nut wood and told what I was looking for and had quite a bit of response.

1130 here - w/ just over 12 hours behind me and the smoker. Meat is showing 143 and WSM is holding tight at 250. With dinner at 5:00 anyone have a comforting word that I should be at 195 by 4:00? (butts are ~6.5 lbs)

Thanks...starting to get a litte concerned about that last 50*.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Kevin, I can't imagine doing a dinner for 11 with less than 24 hours notice. The shopping alone takes up most of the time.

The addition of the sumac in the rub is great. I don't have mine stored in my "everyday" spice cabinet and I forget about it.

Rita

It is now noon, butts have been on for about 14 hours. I had a little trouble getting the temp back up from 225 so I added about 6 unlit and grabbed a stick to knock the ash off. WSM immediately jumped to 270 and then I brought it back down to 250 from there. At about 10:30 internal was at 169, I am sitting at about 180 now and it seems to be running up fairly quickly so I think that 169 was the plateau and we should be down cooking in about an hour. I haven't taken any pics along the way. I am trying to do this and keep an eye on my 2 year old and 6 week old daughters to give mom a rest. Talk about multitasking. I will put up a few pics of the finished product though.

All done, 1:30 pm, 15.5 hours total, just pulled off and wrapped in foil, a beach towel, and put in an ice chest to rest for a couple of hours. Here are the pics.

DSCN1813.jpg

DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1818.jpg

Well, 3:45 and I am supposed to pull the pork off at 4:00'ish. Still stuck somewhere between 160 and 170 according to my digital thermometer. It rained 30 minutes ago and knocked my ttemp back to 230 for a bit but fire recovered. I am now bargaining for time. Running fire hot now trying to hit 195 to allow enough time to rest at least 30 mintues.

Shiloh, Looks great!

Timmy, as David L. and others have told me, "a butts done when she's done." Just hang in there, open another beer and enjoy the aroma. Insure your guest it's going to be well worth the wait.

Curious what sauce (if any) you guys are serving along with your butts? Last weekend I did No. 5 and Carolina Red. No. 5 was by far the favorite.

I'm in the middle of smoking 1/2 a Turkey (12 lb) and I'll be grilling a couple tri's on the OTG tonight.

Enjoy!

Ciao,

I usually use commercial sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's, I haven't gotten into making my own sauce yet. One step at a time I guess. I picked up some at Costco a couple of weeks ago called Famous Dave's, it came in a three pack so I might give it a try on this butt. To be honest I use very little sauce, I want the flavor of the BBQ to come through.

Back