Fresh Wild Hog Shoulders (and I do mean fresh)

Thad

What else do you expect us to do in Arkansas but kill wild hogs? Actually, my brother-in-law killed a wild hog yesterday morning and I had both shoulders cleaned, salted, rubbed and wrapped by about 5pm. From what I understand it's a pretty dangerous hunt, but they are a nuisance to the wildlife here and the Game and Fish Commission is begging folks to help control the population.

Anyway, it was a younger wild hog (only 100lbs or so) and the whole shoulders were not very big. One was about 4lbs and the other was 5.5lbs.

Upon first look, they also appear leaner than farm-raised, store bought pigs (not LEAN, but leaner), which would be expected, so I was a little unsure how they would do, but I'm going forward with the experiement nonetheless.

Here are a few progress pics and I'll post later when they are done and see how they turned out.

Fresh wild hog shoulder within hours of the kill, complete with a little wild hog hair.

Both shoulders cleaned. One with the visual evidence of the kill shot.

Both shoulders rubbed and ready for action.

About 3 hours in and tracking nicely.

Stay tuned.

100 lb is a great size for cooking. We don't tend to cook boars any bigger but will cook sows bigger.
Although it's safe to cook domestic pig to less than 165F it's NOT SAFE to cook any part of wild hog to less than 165F

Too many wild hogs here too!

Restrictions eased to slow pig explosion
BOBBY CLEVELAND • BCLEVELAND@CLARIONLEDGER.COM • OCTOBER 31, 2010

Joe Mac Hudspeth Jr./Special to The C-L
Destructive, mean and very prolific, wild pigs are expanding throughout Mississippi.
Realistically, it is impossible to eliminate the wild pig, the most destructive and probably most prolific animal in Mississippi.

That said, wildlife officials are hoping they can control, or at least slow, the spread of hogs by loosening hunting restrictions.

Under new regulations passed this summer by the Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, landowners and sportsmen can now shoot pigs with any caliber rifle or other weapon at any time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week all year. The only no-no is that it is still illegal to bait them with scattered grain (baiting traps is legal).

Prior to the change, pigs could only be hunted with firearms that were legal for other game during open seasons, basically limiting pig harvest to open deer seasons. The public has long requested a relaxing of firearm restriction, both for sport hunting and reducing agricultural depredation.

Larry Castle, the former chief of wildlife and now the acting director of wildlife, fisheries, enforcement and Museum of Natural Science, said the agency was hesitant to make the change since it could open the door to taking deer out of season.

"That was a concern, and let me say that if anyone takes a deer, we will be out there trying to catch them," Castle said. "But we need to open the door to more pig harvest. We need to allow hunters and farmers to take them when they can because each pig gone, it's a good one gone.

"We got farmers and landowners wanting to get rid of pigs and we got hunters wanting to kill pigs. One thing we need to do is create a network to put them together. It is something we need to look at."

PIG MATH ADDS UP TO TROUBLE
Pig math is frightening.

Pigs are an extremely prolific species and Mississippi provides perfect habitat for growth.

A sow can be bred the first time before it is a half-year old. Sows have two litters a year, and mature sows can birth as may as 8, 10 or 12.

"Reproductively speaking, pigs can put rabbits to shame," Castle said. "Plus, they have an amazing survival rate, one of the best in nature.

"The population is exponentially exploding across the entire state. Their natural habitat is river basins and watersheds, and we've got that from end of the state to the other.They are using our networks of streams to spread. and they are expanding rapidly."

Pigs expand to find ideal feeding grounds bordered by perfect cover. We've got that, too, with a combination of CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) lands adjacent to grain fields.

It is a prescription, Castle said, "for depredation."

Call Bobby Cleveland at (601) 961-7225.
Related news from the Web
Latest headlines by topic:
• Agriculture 
• Wildlife 
• Outdoor Recreation 
• Science