Fresh Kielbasa Sausage

Brady

Hi guys, long time visitor with a new question here. I just bought 5 lbs of fresh (not smoked) kielbasa sausage and was wondering how long I should smoke it in my WSM? Also, what variety of wood would you consider using? I was thinking a mixture of Oak and Cherry myself.

Any insight is appreciated.

You'll want to cook them to a internal temp of 160. Now they won't come out fully smoked through like you would get in a store because those are cold smoked. For the wood I would just use cherry. You'll want to keep the temp on the low side 225 and It'll be a pretty quick cook.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

You can get maximum smokage by putting the sausages on cold straight from the frig right when you assemble the cooker with a minion method start and a little less lit than usual so that the cooker temp comes up a little slower than usual, and cheat the vents closed quicker than usual. How's that for a run on sentence?

When I smoke sausage I like to cook it around 175 -180. this way you have a lot less rendering of fat. it will take several hours to get to 160 but it is good. if you do it this way i think it will more closely resemble a pre smoked kielbasa

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to cook a few lbs each way and see what method the household likes the most.

Ended up putting them on the WSM right out of the fridge at a temp of ~225. Took a couple of hours to get them in the 160 range. Sausage was good, had a hint of smoke but not really strong. Not a bad experiment however, I prefer to take regular cold smoked sausage and "sweat" it on the WSM. Thanks again for the tips.

I usually like to throw a mess of brats and sausages on after I take my main dish off and toss on another bit of smokewood. I prefer apple, myself. I smoke them up to 165 or so and then repackage them for future. Then when the wife and I don't feel like cooking, we can throw a pack of brats on the gasser real quick and go.

As an interesting aside, my local butcher makes a really good apple brat with cinnamon and real apple chunks in it. I smoke them over apple then finish on the grill (usually after freezing) and eat them with Ole Ray's Apple Cinnamon sauce instead of my typical kraut and mustard. These are a great change from a traditional brat.

Back