fresh ham

kenny early

we bought a hog last fall and split the processing with family. i am going to cook a ham this weekend. i think this is what they call a fresh ham. it has never been cured, smoked etc. any suggestions on cooking(temps, rubs) or any previous threads would be appreciated. i am using a wsm. i have used the wsm several times, just never attempted a ham at all.

thanks

I am not positive but I believe a fresh ham is what is called a pork butt on this site. If necessary take a hack saw (clean the blade with soap and water before using) and cut off the bone and meat so that it will fit on the grill. Then follow the recipe in the cooking topics for pork butt (Mr Brown):
Pork Butt-Mr Brown

Good luck

No. A butt is the upper shoulder of a pork carcass, a ham is a rear leg. Those definitions are standard and the ones we use here.

Hams do not need a low/slow approach though some do that. I don't. I usually flavor brine for a few days, skin scored, then rub with a paste rub and cook ~325 to an internal in the low 150s. See this thread and this.

I have done several Fresh hams on the WSM. I remove the skin and trim the fat to about 1/4". Slather with mustard and then use a rub that has some sweetness to it. I cook low and slow just like a butt except as Kevin noted you don't have to get the internal temperature as high. The ham doesn't have the internal fat content that the butts do so I prefer to cook to between 150 and 160, remove and rest in foil for about an hour and then slice. It's one of my favorite ways to smoke around the holidays.

However you do it let us know how it turns out.

Back