Fresh Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been wanting to try smoking a fresh ham shank half on my WSM. Any advice on everything from where to buy it, how long and what temp to cook it, to how long will it take my wife's 6lb Pomeranian to gnaw the bone would be appreciated.

I want to, too! I've only run across one green ham, at a Shopper's Food Warehouse (big Hispanic population nearby). Shoulda' grabbed it. There were two, and when I went back 2 days later they were gone. Drat!

Soooooo....it's still a mystery to me where to find one. Hispanic butcher shops mebbe? Or maybe ask the meat dept at yer local grocery?

Interesting Susan, I would have thought that in Virginia where "Virginia cured ham" originated you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a fresh ham. I tried at my local butcher shop and he said I would have to order a case of two whole hams. I'm not that brave.....yet.

Happy hunting

Ken, if I'm not mistaken, you do the fresh ham just like a pork butt! Probably do a find and then fresh ham or ham shank and see what comes up! Good Luck!

My grandma loved fresh ham--but it was pork!!??

Hey Ken, as far as fresh hams go I think that you would have better luck going to the meat packer to get one that hasn't been cured yet. I was in Smithfield, Va. last weekend at a farmers market and they were serving samples of fresh ham. Smithfield, being a pork producing town famous for the hams I guess it was only nautral to fine a fresh ham there. As far as the taste of the sample I had I can't say that I was impressed with it. You would really have to season it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back