Fresh Ham vs Pork Butt

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
Watched an episode of Food Feud over the weekend. Two Philly eateries that make pork sandwiches. One roasts pork butt and the roasts fresh ham...what's the difference ? What is a fresh ham anyway ?

Ok, I am gonna expose my ignorance here, but I'll give it a try...My understanding is that the butt comes from the front shoulder and the ham is the rear leg. A fresh ham is a ham that has not been smoked or cured, which is what most people think of when they think of ham. My experience is that pork shoulder has more marbling in it than a fresh ham so I like it more for pulled pork. Hope this helps. Try both if you have the chance and see what you like best!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

You are correct.

I am a huge fan of fresh ham - but not so much for 'barbecue'. I prefer to flavor brine for several days, make a paste rub, smoke/roast, slice for serving with a sauce. This is the way I do the brine for Christmas; here the paste rub; here a pic of it finished, skin scored so as to be crispy (we devour it while the ham rests).

I agree Kevin. I have tried fresh ham for pulled pork and it was just ok. Sliced is a totally different story. I like it more than store bought smoked and cured ham. It's less hammy
icon_smile.gif
. I brine mine, but haven't tried the paste yet. Looks good.

Back