French Fry Help

Kevin,
Thanks for the help with the fries. Im gonna try it again tonight and let them go longer and see what happens.

Ive got to ask. I would love to give up fast food, but have a hard time due to convenience. How have you avoided fast food, especially as a truck driver when you are so far from your own kitchen so often?

The last fast food burger I had--and the last fast food fries, and the last soda of any kind (it was a Coke) was in April of 1977. I remember it because I was driving myself to California, in a '65 Olds I had bought from my brother for $150. I had just turned 19.

I did it because that was the point in moving across country to somewhere I had never been, to an area where I knew no one, in the first place: to break from the habitual, the usual, the 'safe'. I was somewhere in Illinois, made that purchase (a Big Mac, Coke and fries) and when I got into the car with the food just decided that this was one of the things I was going to change. Did so -- and never looked back. Over a very short time I lost the taste for it and, meanwhile, was developing tastes for all sorts of things I'd either never had, never had done well, or had never even heard of.

I eat pretty well on the road. I cook while traveling (sometimes professionally, sometimes not), fine dine when I have time somewhere, find good, usually non-chain restaurants (and taco trucks!) when I am not fine dining, and eat very simply but well when I am in the truck between spots. I am quite happy with a hunk of artisan bread with a piece of great cheese or almond butter on it; a hard boiled egg or two aprinkled with fleur de sel and Aleppo; a mango cut onto a pile of frisée or arugula and drizzled with good oil and vinegar.

Here's an interesting thought (for me anyway): I was thinking in the past many weeks of doing a fast food burger taste test -- just for myself, just to see. It has been a very long time, obviously, and I think it might be fun just to sample fast food burgers from the various national and regional chains and see what I think of them. Why not, right?

... and I think it might be fun just to sample fast food burgers from the various national and regional chains and see what I think of them. Why not, right?

"Fun" maybe, more likely interesting. I'd be willing to bet you a double cheeseburger at Wendy's that you won't be impressed.
icon_wink.gif
After going that long without fast food (taco trucks don't count; they're fast but in a different category for good reasons), you'll most likely admit you haven't missed anything. It's kind of like giving up the junk on TV that some people get addicted to. If you do the test, we expect a full report along with before and after cholesterol levels
icon_biggrin.gif
. Now independent burger joints I would fine interesting and fun!...but you could never finish the survey nor find 'the best burger'...

Paul

How many times do you reuse the oil (assuming the oil has only been used for french fries) and how do you store the oil between uses? I have a Waring Pro fryer and it uses about a gallon of oil. I don't want to eat fries every night until it is ready to be pitched, and I don't want to waste good oil. But, I don't want to store a whole gallon of used oil in the fridge for an extended period either. Your thoughts appreciated.

Get a lever model cutter with a suction base. Fast, consistent, easy to clean.

I've been tempted by those cutters but I wondered about their longevity. I considered purchasing a metal, wall-mounted one since I have room for it in my "satellite" kitchen in my basement, but 80 bucks is tough for a single tasker.

The wall-mount ones last a very long time (I have always used them in commercial kitchens to cut several cases of potatoes/day) but the longevity of the type at the link is pretty good too. The one I have is probably only 3 or 4 years old. But I only bought it to replace the one I had been using (for 10 years or better), that I had taken to client's in Ga and decided to leave there.

Oil can be used several times. (In fact, you will get better browning from oil that has been used once already. Brand new oil does not brown quite as well.) After use, allow to cool till just warm then strain through an fryer oil filter or coffee filter. It is best kept cold for longer life, but you can store it in a cool, dark place in an airtight container if you will use it fairly soon.

Paul, no, I wouldn't really expect to be 'impressed' and agree that I'll likely feel that I haven't missed anything, but I thought it would be (you're right) interesting just to see how it does feel and how they do taste to me.

I was thinking in the past many weeks of doing a fast food burger taste test -- just for myself, just to see. It has been a very long time, obviously, and I think it might be fun just to sample fast food burgers from the various national and regional chains and see what I think of them. Why not, right?
Because you need to build up a tolerance for that sort of thing. Too much too quick will probably kill you or worse, ruin your palate.

Nothing but salty empty calories will taste good any more. You'll gain 300lbs and die getting stuck in your truck, unable to get out quickly when you most need to.

icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Get a lever model cutter with a suction base. Fast, consistent, easy to clean.

I've been tempted by those cutters but I wondered about their longevity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My white plastic fry cutter is somewhere between 15-20 years old. It looks just like the one in the link that K posted, but no suction base. Works great and I think It has been well worth the $3.99 my Dad paid for it. He picked it up at K-Mart many years ago on clearance for me.
icon_cool.gif

is anybody familiar with kennebec potatoes?

they are supposedly very popular with restaurants since they are the ideal french fry potato because they do not require blanching. a single frying is enough to cook them through and crisp them up.

http://www.kennebecpotato.com/

Though, imo, they still need double frying, Kennebecs are my prefferred potato for fries. Hard to find in stores.

Though, imo, they still need double frying, Kennebecs are my prefferred potato for fries. Hard to find in stores.

I kind of wondered about that. Regardless of the starch content or what not, I figured it would be thought to get the same effect with a single fry.

It seemed pretty easy to get seed kennebecs. My wife and I are considering growing some next year.

It's easy to get them to grow. Purchasing retail for consumption is harder. They are used in many restaurants nationwide but are not available nationwide at a retail level.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I was thinking in the past many weeks of doing a fast food burger taste test -- just for myself, just to see.

If you ever see a greek burger joint I'd try it there. If you get to Utah try Apollo/Olympus/Astro Burgers. They cook right behind the counter where you can see. Besides being the only burgers I eat out, they also have incredible Gyros.

What's all this talk about microwave fries? I sometimes bake some. I don't fry my own unless friends bring the stuff - my frier is stinky & messy, plus I'm sick of being too fat so I try to avoid grease carriers.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Here's an interesting thought (for me anyway): I was thinking in the past many weeks of doing a fast food burger taste test -- just for myself, just to see. It has been a very long time, obviously, and I think it might be fun just to sample fast food burgers from the various national and regional chains and see what I think of them. Why not, right?
You go Man. I'm waiting for this report wih open ears. Can't wait to read your findings Bud.
icon_cool.gif
I very seldom eat out out fast food burger chains. While I really like em, I know they are just not really good for my heart and body. I do prefer Burger King.
icon_wink.gif

EDIT: While I could eat at BK once a week, I only indugle there 3-4 times a year. So it's June and i've only eaten there once so far this year.
icon_frown.gif

What's all this talk about microwave fries? I sometimes bake some. I don't fry my own unless friends bring the stuff - my frier is stinky & messy, plus I'm sick of being too fat so I try to avoid grease carriers.

there's a link upthread to a recipe. the microwave fries technique is a nice compromise. It doesn't require a ton of oil so you can do it in a pan, and use healthier oils like olive.

I've been meaning to bump this thread, I know a few of us here read cook's illustrated, I read the latest one at the pharmacy while waiting for a prescription. Their newest technique is to start cold raw fries in cold oil. The logic is that by the time the oil comes to temp and starts to brown the fries the insides have properly cooked. no need to double fry. The kicker was that the fries supposedly absorbed LESS oil. I'll remain skeptical.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
cook's illustrated, I read the latest one at the pharmacy while waiting for a prescription. Their newest technique is to start cold raw fries in cold oil. The logic is that by the time the oil comes to temp and starts to brown the fries the insides have properly cooked. no need to double fry. The kicker was that the fries supposedly absorbed LESS oil. I'll remain skeptical.
j, and all. I tried this tonight as I wanted fries in a hurry with my meal. I peeled a very large russet and cut it into fries by hand. I did not rinse or soak the fries at all after cutting. I placed them into the cold oil and turned on the stove. Cooked till golden, and sprinkled on some sea salt. I was very surprised on how well they came out. They were very, very good. Try it sometime and see what you think. I'll be doing it again when rushed for time.
icon_cool.gif

j, and all. I tried this tonight as I wanted fries in a hurry with my meal. I peeled a very large russet and cut it into fries by hand. I did not rinse or soak the fries at all after cutting. I placed them into the cold oil and turned on the stove. Cooked till golden, and sprinkled on some sea salt. I was very surprised on how well they came out. They were very, very good. Try it sometime and see what you think. I'll be doing it again when rushed for time. Cool

thanks for the update Bryan. I might try it sometime when I'm in the mood to play. I've been using the microwave method exclusively, and find it to be acceptable.

Look what the cat dragged in! Howdy Bry.

I'll give the cold oil thing a shot sometime. And measure pre- and post-weight. Ditto for the double-cook method, and compare. And compare finish taste/texture.

Zipped over you earlier today, Bryan. On 78. Kind of warm-ish for mid-November.

Back