Freezing Ribs?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I've frozen pulled pork with no problem. Will freezing ribs (just for a week or so) work? How much will it affect the texture?

They freeze pretty well wrapped very tightly or Foodsavered. The texture is fine so long as you don't overcook during the re-heat. If you use glaze that could be affected by freezing. It would depend on the glaze ingredients.

I took 5 frozen, Foodsavered, month old slabs of ribs with my group when we went snowboarding. The condo had a big pot to boil the bag. They turned out almost just as well as when I took them off the grill. There were none left, for sure.

I did both dry and wet ribs and they were equally good. No worries.

A method for reheating frozen vac-sealed ribs, that I find works well, is to place the frozen pack in a large pot of water and, when it begins to boil, turn off the heat and just wait ten or fifteen minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
A method for reheating frozen vac-sealed ribs, that I find works well, is to place the frozen pack in a large pot of water and, when it begins to boil, turn off the heat and just wait ten or fifteen minutes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...thereby ensuring they won't overcook and toughen up. A good method.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
that's the way I boil my eggs.

by the way -- I've never glazed. Should I? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hands down it's the best way to boil eggs.

Glazes need sugar or other sweeteners to stick, caramelize and/or set properly. Personally, I've never had a glazed rib I like and I do not glaze mine: the bit of sugar or honey (if any) in the rub and sauce is all the sweetness I want. But if you like sweeter stuff give it a try. It's all personal preference.

What if I don't have foodsaver or other vacuum sealer? What is the best way to freeze smoked meat? I've tried using freezer ziplocks, but no matter now hard I try to get all the air out of them, after a while, they get frost and freezer burn. Anyone have any ideas or secrets?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adamclyde:
What if I don't have foodsaver or other vacuum sealer? What is the best way to freeze smoked meat? I've tried using freezer ziplocks, but no matter now hard I try to get all the air out of them, after a while, they get frost and freezer burn. Anyone have any ideas or secrets? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wrap tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil to keep air away from the meat. Then place the foiled meat in a Ziploc bag. The foil prevents freezer burn, and the Ziploc prevents the absorption of odors.

Regards,
Chris

I've been reheating my frozen cooked ribs either on my gasser at the lowest indirect setting or under a 400*F broiler about 8 inches from the heat source. That way the outsides crisp up a bit without overcooking. Watch carefully - it doesn't take long.

Rita

Hi,
I would do what Chris did but would also add a layer of plastic wrap before the foil. Sometimes if a sauce contains a lot of vinegar, it could cause the foil to deteriorate.

I love being able to grab a rack right out of the freezer !!! It's kinda like "Instant Ribs"

Al

Al

I never had this issue Al, we never have leftovers lol. Seems like no matter how many I cook, 'taint many/anything left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adamclyde:
What if I don't have foodsaver or other vacuum sealer? What is the best way to freeze smoked meat? I've tried using freezer ziplocks, but no matter now hard I try to get all the air out of them, after a while, they get frost and freezer burn. Anyone have any ideas or secrets? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
(Don't tell anyone, but even when I use my foodsaver, my pork gets frost in the bag. It's tough to get the air out of all the nooks and crannies. Especially the crannies.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
What if I don't have foodsaver or other vacuum sealer? What is the best way to freeze smoked meat? I've tried using freezer ziplocks, but no matter now hard I try to get all the air out of them, after a while, they get frost and freezer burn. Anyone have any ideas or secrets? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
(Don't tell anyone, but even when I use my foodsaver, my pork gets frost in the bag. It's tough to get the air out of all the nooks and crannies. Especially the crannies.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have a button to extend vacumn? That should take care of the little nooks and crannies.

Back