Freezing ribs

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
I ran across a "buy one slab, get one slab free" deal at my local grocery store yesterday and could not pass on the opportunity. How long will ribs keep in the fridge? The back loin ribs are "somewhat" frozen, so I would think they need a day or two to thaw. I plan on smoking them Saturday, so I would think 4 days in the fridge should work?

Also, I had to ditch my old water pan and might not have one in time for my cook on Saturday. Is it advisable to smoke baby backs without the water pan in place, or should I make a B-line to the Bass Pro Shop and replace it now?

You ditched your old water pan? Why? Did it leak? Put a 12" or so clay saucer (like for under a flower pot) and use that - you will love it!

I ditched my old water pan b/c I left grease in it from a pork butt cook two weeks ago and found maggots crawling all in it. I have never had that happen before....so I 86'd it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by russell swift:
I ran across a "buy one slab, get one slab free" deal at my local grocery store yesterday and could not pass on the opportunity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which store was that? I picked up a cryopac at Sam's but I've got room in the freezer for more, especially the "get one free" kind!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I ditched my old water pan b/c I left grease in it from a pork butt cook two weeks ago and found maggots crawling all in it. I have never had that happen before....so I 86'd it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few minutes in the cooker over the charcoal should take care of the crawling maggots!

Russell, I've had cryovaced ribs in my freezer for over a year and they were fine when I smoked them. I don't know about if you cooked them and then tried to freeze how long they would remain good

There is no way I would have thrown that pan away. Maggots are a good source of protein and after a good washing, the pan would have been as good as new

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I ditched my old water pan b/c I left grease in it from a pork butt cook two weeks ago and found maggots crawling all in it. I have never had that happen before....so I 86'd it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reminder Russell, I used mine on Sunday and put the water pan away without cleaning it out. Ran out to the garage and no maggot formation yet, so just cleaned it out JIT.

I smoke ribs and freeze them, coated in sauce, in 2 gallon ziploc bags. Be sure to suck all the air out of the bags with a straw. I have held ribs this way for 6 months and after the reheat, couldn't tell that they were frozen.

Well....considering the Brinkman charcoal pan that I use as a water pan only costs $4....I think it's safe to say that I can easily replace it. There was a good inch or two layer of grease drippings from the last smoke, and when I saw the maggots crawling all in it....adios it went! No point in letting maggots live in my smoker period! It was worth the $4 to me!

BTW, the question was about buying frozen ribs and thawing, not freezing ribs after smoking....just wanted to throw that out there! I "stocked up" on their baby backs.

Back