Freezing ribs question

Bill Rickert

TVWBB Fan
I want to cook 4 slabs of spares soon. With only two of us, I want to foodsaver some of these. Questions - Is it safe to freeze ribs? I think it is, but never hurts to ask. Also, would it be better to freeze in larger pieces or go ahead and cut into serving size?

Perfectly safe. So long as your cooked ribs don't hang around on the counter too long you're good to go.

If you know how many you'll be freezing you can--if you wish--undercook them a bit; not essential though. Cool them more quickly by putting them in the fridge, uncovered, before packing and sealing. They don't need to be stone cold but get some heat out of them. (If you plan to pack more than one slab in a package by putting them on top of each other then chill them a bit more thouroughly before packing.)

I freeze ribs in slabs because I think they retain moisture a little better. If you would prefer to cut them cut them in several-rib pieces and cut them after they've cooled.

Thanks Kevin. The only thing wrong with the foodsaver is I'm going to run out of freezer space. I just keep smokin, eatin and freezin.

You can have a problem with the ribs bones puncturing the FS bag. I often freeze cooked, half spare slabs. I wrap in saran type wrap and then with foil. Then I place in a ziplock freezer bag.

Paul

I usally cut my ribs into individual bones when they get done. So, when its time to freeze the leftovers I wrap 4-6 bones in heavy duty foil then put them in a zip-lock freezer bag.

Tony

Back