Freezing pulled pork- Are ziplock's ok or do I need a Foodsaver?

One thing that I don't see mentioned in regard to ZipLoc vs FoodSaver is the fact that you can just toss the FoodSaver bags in a pot of boiling water to reheat. When done that way, the pulled pork tastes like it just came off the smoker.

Tom is right. I will freeze whole unpulled butts and then thaw and heat them in boiling water on the stove. Chopped pork, on the other hand, I normally freeze in ziplock bags w/ eastenr NC style sauce and gently nuke (defrost setting or lower) to reheat.

I cook several butts at one time and keep it in the freezer. I do the same with brisket and chicken thighs. The best way I've found is to tightly wrap chunks in saran wrap, of the size I will want to thaw out for a meal, then put all of the individually wrapped portions in a zip lock freezer bag, pressing as much air out as possible. When I reheat it, it is close to being as good as when it came off the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Petrone:
I am genuinely disappointed.
Am I the only one who makes Q that only lasts a week in the freezer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're not the only one...when I got the foodsaver, it was like allowing myslef to always cook 2 8lb butts and never having to worry about when I was going to eat all of it...it can now be done over a week or 3 weeks or a month or...???

Foodsaver should be mandatory purchase along with any smoker!
icon_smile.gif

Back