Freezing Pulled BBQ Chuck in Vacuum Mason Jars

Stan H

I want to freeze meal-sized portions of pulled, smoked roasts in Vacuumed Mason Jars. I've used vacuum plastic bags, and I already know that works great.

But I'm really wanting to try the mason jars for long term freezing. I think HEAVY duty foiling first will be best, and 29+" of vacuum couldn't hurt. My equipment is already in place, with a Robinaire two stage vacuum pump providing the vacuum.

Perhaps this seems an odd first post for a new member, but I've searched and searched. I want to know if this has already been successfully tried by anyone here, or otherwise...with managing freezer burn being the prime directive.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Thanks!
Stan

I seal meal sized portions in bags; like you say it works great. I've never seen jars used for freezing. The only thing I see is the amount of space a jar takes up in a freezer.

I seal meal sized portions in bags; like you say it works great. I've never seen jars used for freezing. The only thing I see is the amount of space a jar takes up in a freezer.

Yes, I concur about the space issue, and I probably ought to just use them for soups, stews, and sauces. TONS of info about that on the web, and I've seen excellent quality of those items frozen in pint jars. I usually poke a hole in the mason lids, and cover it with a piece of electrical tape. There are also some EXCELLENT "band-aid" type valve/seal items on the Pump-N-Seal website. It is a simple and elegant solution for a "valve" on mason jars.

This frozen, shredded BBQ meat idea in a vacuum jar idea probably is inferior to vacuum bagging, but I just had to ask. And ultimately, I'll probably just try an experiment myself.

The Wide Mouth Pint Mason Jars I use have a straight side. The contents remove easily, even if frozen.

But you are correct on Quart and Half Gallon Jars. The shoulder would cause trouble. That would certainly be the case with any frozen liquid on any jars with shoulders, if a full defrosting were not performed first. I should have made my intention clear in the original post, that I intend to use Mason Pint Mars ONLY for this.

I have often made soups and stews and frozen single servings in vacuumed Pint Jars...employing the method shown in the video above to apply the vacuum. I usually use electrical tape for the valves, but the little valves they sell on their Pump-N-Seal website are terrific.

I have eaten pulled pork that was vacuum sealed in a Foodsaver bag for about one year and it was still fine. No freezer burn and no off tatse.

I also would go with the foodsaver bags. If for no other reason that the space savings they give you. You can tuck them anywhere the space allows in the freezer. No experience with freezing or canning using mason jars.

Back