Freezer life for ribs

Donny Anderson

TVWBB Super Fan
I have free access to 20 racks of BB's. They have been frozen for a while though. What is the quality/life span of ribs that are frozen? These are cryopacked Smithfields. Thanks in advance.

Proteins start to denature after being frozen for over six months unless they are frozen at absolute zero (-273 degrees F) . In home freezers the best you can hope for is about 6 or 7 months, so I would recommend consuming the baby backs within that time frame.

Just a biologist's point of view.

These are older than six months. I had two racks of these a couple of months ago and they were really good. I would be fixing for guests, so I would hate to serve poor quality meat.

That's a good question, and if it were me after you thaw the meat I would look to she what you have. Check the color of the meat, and see if it's slimy, or has a peculiar smell? If they have not been frozen for an extended period of time you may be okay. Try one before you serve the crowd. You won't get sick, but the quality may not be there.

You can really see this in frozen fish after more than six months of being frozen, but with other meats you are going to have to use your judement.

About 2 years ago I found a cryo vac brisket that was just over 2 years old in the freezer. I cooked it up and never knew the difference between that one and a fresh one. I've also had cryo baby backs a year old. They are in cryo no worries. Cook em up and enjoy them.

Back