Free Original Weber Black Kettle

That looks great! What will you do with the grill and the charcoal grate? Will you replace these or will they come up well also?

That looks great! What will you do with the grill and the charcoal grate? Will you replace these or will they come up well also?
The more I mod it the more I want to keep it for I will never get back what I put into it.
I attempted to clean the grill grates but they were to far gone. I will have to replace them.
I also have to do something about the legs the back legs were put on backwards so I will have to clean and reassemble but I do have some rust there so they may also need to be replaced.

The handles were take offs of other grills I had restored. They were orginally gray but I dyed them black.
The thermometer and bezel were also take offs that I modified to fit this lid.

So far all I have invested in it was a can of Easy-Off Oven Cleaner to clean the inside of the grill and a bottle of Rit Synthetic Dye More Graphite Dye. And yes, also, some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish to polish the Lid Damper.

Easy Off.jpgRit DyeMore Synthetic Graphite.jpgMother's Aluminum Polish.jpg

Last edited:
How did you clean the interior?
I used Easy Off Oven Cleaner, SOS pads, and Dawn.
I filled a hot tub of water with Dawn.
I swept out the ash 1st.
I washed with hot water and Dawn.
I then applied the Easy Off and let it set for 2 hours.
I wet the inside and then I scrubbed with hot water Dawn and SOS pads.
I rinsed.
I then repeated once again with the hot water and Dawn with the SOS pads.
Then I washed with Hot Water and Dawn and a Sponge.
Finally make sure all is dry, then you will need to fire up some Coals and Burn Off any residue for 30 minutes before you can cook on it.

Note: I would recommend you use, Eye Protection, Gloves and Mask it your attempting to do this process and have success.

Easy Off.jpgSOS pads.jpgDawn.jpeg

Last edited:
Your Very Welcome. I was happy to help,

A final touch is to Polish the Lid with Gel Gloss,
It adds a nice shine at the end, But DO NOT use this stuff on the inside of your grill,
You can use it on the outside of the Lid and Bowl,

After they are Clean.
You can spray with Gel Gloss and put a light mist on it,
Lightly Wipe and Spread but do not remove, with some Blue Shop towels,
Let dry for 30 minutes and it will haze up,
Finally buff out with a Micro Fiber Towel.

Note:
Once dry in the end you can Wipe Clean with Windex. Just let all thoroughly dry before you cook on it.

Gel Gloss.jpgBlue Shop Towel.jpg

Last edited:
Samuel, I have never seen that Gel Gloss stuff. It sure works! I have used car wax before but I am thinking that product would be better. Thanks for posting. I am sure you have seen, but in case anyone here has not, our friends at the Weber Kettle Club have a great section on restoring old kettles. I have found their methods for bringing back the aluminum legs and getting rust off the older style plated triangles works very well.

Thank also for reminding us about safety. This a fun hobby but not without some real dangers if we are cavalier about protecting eyes, lungs and skin! I have a scar on my leg from three years ago caused by the Sam’s grill cleaner - an effective but potent alkali.

Although I would enjoy taking credit for this Cleaning technique, but I acquired it watching YouTuber's videos by Tom Horsman, Mad Horse BBQ, J.P.BBQ, Grill Sergeant, and Grill Top Experience to name a few. Thanks to all of them!

The Dye technique I learned from @Bruce a member on this forum. Thanks Bruce!

Last edited:
You could have bought a new one for the price of all the cleaning products :LOL:

Looks great and the enamelled parts should last another 14 years.

I swept out the ash 1st.
I rinsed.
Finally make sure all is dry, then you will need to fire up some Coals and Burn Off any residue for 30 minutes before you can cook on it.

Note: I would recommend you use, Eye Protection, Gloves and Mask it your attempting to do this process and have success.

View attachment 45436View attachment 45437View attachment 45438

I swept out the ash 1st.
I rinsed.

View attachment 45436View attachment 45437View attachment 45438
A silly question.... did you use the SOS pads on the inside kettle walls or just the grill? I would think they scratch the walls of the kettle?

A silly question.... did you use the SOS pads on the inside kettle walls or just the grill? I would think they scratch the walls of the kettle?
I used the SOS pads on inside of the grill. It is porcelain and it does not scratch it. Porcelain is very durable. The outside just soap and water with a sponge

Nice score, but that's not an original kettle, it has a plastic handle and gauge in the hood.

The older original ones were built much better. These are pretty flimsy, the edges of the lid get easily dented and the paint chips off in those cases in my experience. Also the grills are pretty cheap nowadays, but fortunately they are readily available. The vent/handle is much flimsier on these new kettles also. In general I would say these don't represent the reason I have used Webers over the years.

I wish I could justify a Summit, but given the great value in the kettle, even the newer ones, I don't see spending what they sell for new.

I recently saw an 18.5" WSM at Home Depot, $400.

Still a great score! I've entertained pretty large groups with a 22.5" kettle. Getting one for free is a gift, but the key is if you use it. Even if you buy a Summit, if you use it the cost is easily justified. Everyone should have a kettle, so if you don't have at least one, it's an awesome score for free. My daughter uses my kettle with hardwood lump using a chimney, which is exactly how I use it.

You getting it dirty again yet, or 'ya still polishing that lid? *gd&r*

EDIT: After that long reply I see your sig now, you have more than enough kettles. The one thing I like is using a chimney with the small propane canister on the performer. I still use newspaper in the chimney, just use the starter to light the paper. You should find someone without a kettle to give it to. I've given several away that I've acquired along the road...2 x 18.5" kettles and a 14.5" Smokey Joe. My daughter started out using the Smokey Joe. I started her on the small one...and worked her up...LOL She has used the WSM, but it's too much for her to setup, if I set it up for her she can tend it, but if I set it up, I'm gonna tend it.;) I still use a Smokey Joe if I want to do fish and other meat at the same time. I'm ok with chicken/pork/beef, but don't like to mix fish, so either do fish only, or use the Performer and the Smokey Joe at the same time.

Last edited:
I used the Easy Off Heavy Duty for years to restore cast iron skillets. I tried the Easy Off Fume Free and it’s a major improvement - same results and no need for a mask and gloves.
@Jeff Boudman, I have a set of Cast iron Kettle grill grates I would like to restore. What is the process of using Easy-Off to do this? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Back